Thursday, February 17, 2005

AP classes, advice for Tom

Tom is signing up for next year, (junior year) classes. any advice on how important it is to take or not take AP classes, and which calculus to take. (A? or BC) he wants to challenge himself. he now knows he is smart, and wants to excel next year in order to have an easy senior year. he is thinking of AP spanish, english, american history, whatever follows chem, and calculus. hard schedule? is it worth it?

1 comment:

Bret said...

My advice is to take as many high level classes as possible. If he can get college credit - go for it. For calc, take the BC, as some colleges don't accept AB. In high school I took: AP Spanish, English, History, Calc, and Physics. Maybe something else, too. One of these I may have taken my junior year. In the end, I did not take the English AP test - wasn't interested - but took all of the others and got credit. Check with the colleges Tom wants to attend to see if they accept credit, as I recall for a few years BYU would not accept AP history credit anymore. Any headstart he can get in college will help him finish faster. Then he can graduate in 4 years instead of 5 like most others. I think it is worth it. If he's smart, it won't be that hard anyway. I think he is like me, where he doesn't need to study a ton, so it's just as much work as any other class. For others who are perfectionists and spend a lot of time on homework (Tevia, Kathy?), then this might be too much.