I'll make the post title more clear - BYU Football Sucks. So we finally get cable this fall so that I can actually watch a few football and basketball games this year since so few are now on regular TV. I was able to watch the BYU game against TCU and watched them take a 41-29 lead into the fourth quarter. At which point I turned it off with about 8 minutes to go since they looked in control and I had other things to do. Not until I just logged on did I even fathom that BYU would have lost in OT 51-50! So frustrating. Maybe it is better just not to watch.
But that was not what I originally intended to blog about. We have all heard the saying that "good things come to those that wait." But it is so untrue. Why do people believe this stuff? Who makes up some of these maxims? The past few months at work have been a perfect example to me that this is not, generally, true. If you want something, if you really want to change something in your life, you have to change it. Does your job suck? You have to be the one to change it. Is your marriage difficult? Sitting there and waiting won't help. But so many people just think that things will naturally change if they just "wait it out." It is a little like the people that stay in these cities when the hurricanes come through (those that have a choice), and they just think that everything will be fine.
But most people are not leaders. Most people don't make an effort to change. Therefore, unless you are fortunate to have some good people around you, nuttin go'in change. You have to stand up and make the change yourself. A much better saying is, "if you want something done right, do it yourself." That one is very true, at least in my experience. Things at work have been a little hectic lately, and people have been a little down since the same things that have always been broken (processes, people) are still broken. I've gotten to a point where I need to do one of two things - move on or fix it. (there is a much better saying that is a little vulgar but is a fantastic metaphore - it goes something like "you either got to take a dump (usually more vulgar) or get off the toilet!" See, I knew you'd like that one). I don't really feel like moving on - I like my job and company - so it's time to fix it.
It is interesting. I am a grateful person who is not obsessed with money and usually don't worry about how much I get paid or anything since I am happy to make what I make. But in a capitalist society, when I look at the people around me and above me - I am a dang good bargain! I don't think any company could really pay me what I am worth. :-)
1 comment:
I whole heartedly agree with you Bret... (on both subjects). I too was able to catch a quick glance at the BYU TCU game yesterday, also in the 4th quarter when BYU was up 39 17, or something like that. I pretty much thought the game was in the bag for the cougs... WOW... you don't get much more pathetic than that!!! so sad for my cougars! :( Oh well...
As for taking the initiative... A prime example was Shane's life. He really did do all he wanted to do, and that he had time for. I saw quite a few friends (they were always more of Shane's friends than mine) this weekend. All of them still live in AZ. Not that it's bad to live here, but I don't think a single one of them has a "job" has been to a classroom since high school, or has been sober since jr. high. I was able to watch them, and I really don't think any one of them knows what they'll do now that Shane's gone. He really seemed to be the best of the worst. He always hung out with this unsavory group, but they were all friends. I think he gave them a sense of direction in life. He really was one to take the initiative and go after what he wanted... to the rest that were there... I think they were just along for the ride... I guess that sums up most people's lives.
And yes Bret, there probably isn't a company that can really pay you what you're worth. But at least you like what you do. :)
Post a Comment