Saturday, October 08, 2005

Embracing Change

Embracing Change

Something we discuss much in the workplace is change – and helping employees to understand that change will always occur.  As a manager it is expected that you help your employees accept and even embrace change, and I feel like I do that quite well.

I also tell others that they must embrace change.  I hear many stories of people who have had friends, spouses, or even children who have “changed,” and it is very difficult for them to deal with it.  It has been so easy to say, “hey, people change – that is part of life; deal with it.”  

But when it happens to me, that is a different story.  I have noticed lately that when those I care about change, it is difficult for me to accept.  Certainly I expect them to accept if I happen to change.  But how dare they change?  I like them for who they are – and this new person, or part of this person, is new and different.  I don’t want them to change (unless, obviously, it is something I don’t like).  It makes me feel uncomfortable.  So, in essence, I have been a hypocrite.  I finally realized that people have every right to change.  In fact, hopefully we all do change.  God wants us to get better and that certainly requires change.  It may even necessitate very large changes in our personalities, habits, etc.  

So how can I get mad if somebody I love changes?  Unless it is a change for the worse (and in this I mean by fact, not just some opinion like they are now a democrat and therefore I think they are evil), I need to embrace this change.  It shouldn’t make me like them less.  If I truly love them, I will accept the change.  

It has been eye opening to me.  I have never really thought of this before.  I finally was able to see that accepting change in loved ones is hard, especially when you are used to them being a certain way.  This can certainly be a reason parents have difficulties with teenagers who “find” themselves.  It is indicative in the many divorces for couples who have someone change (i.e. the woman who starts to stand up to her husband).  I am going to try and embrace change more around me.  And hopefully when I change, those whom I love will accept it in me.

*I posted this with the new Blogger Word plug-in*

3 comments:

KarenM said...

Hi, very well written. and as always, interesting. everyone changes, at least we should all be striving to change for the better. as we get older, ( dad and I), we realize more and more our faults. we were just mention this week that some people see themselves so differently than others do. to change a lifelong personality trait is hard. starting and keeping good habits is easy. start your boys out right with good study habits, manners, and good health habits. I see these things lacking in so many teenagers today. yes, teenagers will always 'find themselves' and change. it is part of growing up that is hard for the parents. like when they all of a sudden start making choices that you wouldn't ever pick, even in just clothing or room colors. a lot of all this is simply about control. we can not control anyone but ourselves. and we can change ourselves. that is the good news!

teviawall said...

Change. As always, Bret has such a diplomatic way of presneting lifes challenges in such a way that everyone feels warm and content after the discorse. Well done babes! I know more than anyone else what prompted this, and I appreciate your tact and kindness in making me not look so lame in my apparent "change". I hope that you will continue to love and accept me through this change even though it hasn't ALL been for the better. I will find the balance I need, and hopefully become a better, as well as different, person. I know that Jarek has learned your diplomatic way of choosing and presenting things. I am glad, for I am more of the instigator and fighter instead of an acceptor and resolver. If those are even words. Anyhow, Bret you are very insightful, tolerant, forgiving and loving. Qualities that I hope to acheive in this life. I have a long way to go. :) I love you, especially when you forgive me my shortcomings.

KarenM said...

Bret must be very diplomatic as you say, because I had no idea it was about you. :)