I would love to hear some of your opinions of foreign exchange students. Jacob has quite an interesting one, so I hope he will blog about this. Cari didn't know any. Kathy has met one at Ketcham, Juan from Chili. we met him last night. cute.
We always had foreign exchange students at our school for some reason, even though it was a small school. The exchange students were mostly pretty nice. Some of them were rude since they thought our town was small and hicksville, oh wait, it was small and hicksville so they were just being honest! :) My senior year there was a kid named Kristoph from Belgium who graduated with us. He was funny and cute and slept with about five girls in my graduating class. I think that we also had an exchange student stay at our house for a week. She was from Mexico. My aunt and uncle are currently hosting a student from Germany. They have hosted students a number of times. For the most part I think it is a great cultural experience for both the exchange student and the students at the school. It increases global awareness and teaches tolerance and acceptance towards others. In some cases, it teaches humility and gratitude. I don't know if that is what you were looking for, but hope it helps.
Well... I was planning on posting to this blog a while ago, but I've just been really busy. I'm not really sure what kind of information you're looking for here either... but here goes...
Yes, I've known a couple of exchange students. There are two that are most present in my memory. The first was from Holland. He came to Blue Ridge as a senior when I was a Froshman. He played soccer on our team and was really good. He was also in my Spanish class. I remember every morning we would say The Pledge and he would just stand there. Of course, not that this was strange since, why would he pledge allegience to a country he is not a citizen of? But the actual point of this story is, one day we had a substitute teacher in that class. She decided to start the class off with the pledge by saying, "okay class, we will now say The Pledge of Allegience, ready? one, two, three, GO." Bernard, the exchange student, along with me and about half the class just started laughing... after that, our "inside joke" was "ready? one, two, three, GO!"
The other exchange student was just really weird. He came my jounior year from Germany. He also played soccer but was not very good at it at all. I think they just let him on the team cause he was from Europe. I have the unfortunate image eternally engraven into my minds eye of him walking up and down the soccer travel bus in his little Euro bikini briefs. Some things should just NOT be worn by some genders! He was a strange duck alright.
Yeah, exchange students, for the most part, and in my experiences, have been nice people. Sounds like Kathy a bit stricken with this one... I can't blame her, they really know how to grow em down in Chile. Our new receptionist is from Chile, (well, she's from Orem, her mother is from Chile, but she's super cute... VERY high maintenance, but cute).
Exchange students gain a lot, or can if they allow themselves. Looking back on my life, I think I would have really enjoyed the opportunity to be an exchange student. Several of my current employees were exchange students - into and out of the USA. I am for it and wouldn't mind housing one years from now. Any opportunity to experience another culture can be wonderful. The only downside I see is being away from your family can provide opportunities and temptations that otherwise may not present themselves. But we all have to face that reality someday. It's also a little expensive. I'm a pro-exchange studenter.
Thanks for all the commments. Jacob Wall had suggested that most foreigh exchange students he knew at Ketcham were here for the sex and/or drugs, or basically the wild, free American teen life style that is portrayed to others. he said don't let Kathy date Juan, and he mostl likely is sexually active and looking to use his charms to get these cute American women. well, I must say, I never heard of that stereotype, so I have asked around. when I talked to my friend, (my age), Kathy Lombardo, she actually said what Jacob said! so then I asked you guys, who all tend to like them, except Tev did mention the guy who had sex with 5 seniors. so I met Juan, and he indeed is charming, has quite a twinkle in his eye, and seems to like Kathy and her 'home' here. I will ask him if he knows any Mormons in Chile. I will tell her to keep her eyes open with him, although she never believes me yet that guys her age are interested in sex. have a good weekend everyone!
Keep in mind that sex in most countries outside the USA is much more liberal. We may think we live in a liberal, crazy country, but the truth is actually quite the opposite compared to most countries. This is why many exchange students seem to be obsessed with sex - because they most probably had it all the time back home. The USA is still a pretty conservative country, though Hollywood loves to portray it otherwise. Certainly things are getting worse, but no country in the world attends church as much as we do! Convert Juan! Vote for Pedro.
5 comments:
We always had foreign exchange students at our school for some reason, even though it was a small school. The exchange students were mostly pretty nice. Some of them were rude since they thought our town was small and hicksville, oh wait, it was small and hicksville so they were just being honest! :) My senior year there was a kid named Kristoph from Belgium who graduated with us. He was funny and cute and slept with about five girls in my graduating class.
I think that we also had an exchange student stay at our house for a week. She was from Mexico. My aunt and uncle are currently hosting a student from Germany. They have hosted students a number of times. For the most part I think it is a great cultural experience for both the exchange student and the students at the school. It increases global awareness and teaches tolerance and acceptance towards others. In some cases, it teaches humility and gratitude. I don't know if that is what you were looking for, but hope it helps.
Well... I was planning on posting to this blog a while ago, but I've just been really busy. I'm not really sure what kind of information you're looking for here either... but here goes...
Yes, I've known a couple of exchange students. There are two that are most present in my memory. The first was from Holland. He came to Blue Ridge as a senior when I was a Froshman. He played soccer on our team and was really good. He was also in my Spanish class. I remember every morning we would say The Pledge and he would just stand there. Of course, not that this was strange since, why would he pledge allegience to a country he is not a citizen of? But the actual point of this story is, one day we had a substitute teacher in that class. She decided to start the class off with the pledge by saying, "okay class, we will now say The Pledge of Allegience, ready? one, two, three, GO." Bernard, the exchange student, along with me and about half the class just started laughing... after that, our "inside joke" was "ready? one, two, three, GO!"
The other exchange student was just really weird. He came my jounior year from Germany. He also played soccer but was not very good at it at all. I think they just let him on the team cause he was from Europe. I have the unfortunate image eternally engraven into my minds eye of him walking up and down the soccer travel bus in his little Euro bikini briefs. Some things should just NOT be worn by some genders! He was a strange duck alright.
Yeah, exchange students, for the most part, and in my experiences, have been nice people. Sounds like Kathy a bit stricken with this one... I can't blame her, they really know how to grow em down in Chile. Our new receptionist is from Chile, (well, she's from Orem, her mother is from Chile, but she's super cute... VERY high maintenance, but cute).
Exchange students gain a lot, or can if they allow themselves. Looking back on my life, I think I would have really enjoyed the opportunity to be an exchange student. Several of my current employees were exchange students - into and out of the USA. I am for it and wouldn't mind housing one years from now. Any opportunity to experience another culture can be wonderful. The only downside I see is being away from your family can provide opportunities and temptations that otherwise may not present themselves. But we all have to face that reality someday. It's also a little expensive. I'm a pro-exchange studenter.
Thanks for all the commments. Jacob Wall had suggested that most foreigh exchange students he knew at Ketcham were here for the sex and/or drugs, or basically the wild, free American teen life style that is portrayed to others. he said don't let Kathy date Juan, and he mostl likely is sexually active and looking to use his charms to get these cute American women. well, I must say, I never heard of that stereotype, so I have asked around. when I talked to my friend, (my age), Kathy Lombardo, she actually said what Jacob said! so then I asked you guys, who all tend to like them, except Tev did mention the guy who had sex with 5 seniors. so I met Juan, and he indeed is charming, has quite a twinkle in his eye, and seems to like Kathy and her 'home' here. I will ask him if he knows any Mormons in Chile. I will tell her to keep her eyes open with him, although she never believes me yet that guys her age are interested in sex. have a good weekend everyone!
Keep in mind that sex in most countries outside the USA is much more liberal. We may think we live in a liberal, crazy country, but the truth is actually quite the opposite compared to most countries. This is why many exchange students seem to be obsessed with sex - because they most probably had it all the time back home. The USA is still a pretty conservative country, though Hollywood loves to portray it otherwise. Certainly things are getting worse, but no country in the world attends church as much as we do! Convert Juan! Vote for Pedro.
Post a Comment