Saturday, December 31, 2005

My year-end review

Well, I just finished reading The BofM!! I think that in itself is a good way to finish off the year... of course... I had to read the entire book of Alma in two sittings (first 31 chapters yesterday and the last 32 chapters today). I have to admit, even if I were to have read the entire book without getting a hint of spirituality added to me I can deffinitely say there is a great sense of accomplishment in fullfilling the challenge of the prophet... and don't worry, I do feel I've increased in spirituality as well. Because I read the entire book in so few sittings (which is not something I've done before) I got quite a different perspective as to timelines and relationships (both familiar as well as interpersonal) within the book. I also have to admitt that I think reading and getting into the Harry Potter books so much has really helped me in visualizing the events of scriptures. Finally, I think one last thing that aided me in reading so much in so little time (aside from the spirit and promise from the Lord that he nor his servants the prophets will give a commandment without providing a way to fullfill them) is that I listen to the Braveheart soundtrack (all instumental) and read in a Scottish accent... really adds a whole new life to those long war ridden chapters From the last half of Alma, most of Heleman, Ether, etc...

Anyway...

This year was a fairly good year for me in many aspects, and unfortunately it was a very bad year in terms of "I really could have done better." Thank goodness for repentance and the atonement. I really resolve to make this coming year one of spiritual grwoth. I think this last year was moreso dedicated to spiritual digression... These last couple of months I've really been trying to get things together and figure out just where I stand with myself and in all things. I have to give thanks to such a great family and good friends who have continually prayed for me and never gave up on me to come around. There are few, if any, who I feel really know me or why I make some of the choices I do... but regaurdless, I do have a testimony of the truthfullness of the restored gosple and continue to nurture my faith in the living Christ.

Some highlights from this last year include two trips to Disneyland with dear friends, and an unforgetable trip to the East coast with my favorite family! I also finished out my first semester of college with straight As, and got a couple of good raises and added perks from a job that I really do enjoy. I think I'm finally aclimatizing to Utah, but don't think I will ever get used to the lack of sunshine here and ALWAYS look forward to spending time in AZ... which by the way I think I made more visits to AZ this year than any other since moving away.

I think I've become more indifferent as to what my mother thinks or wants of me. I realize that nothing I ever do will cause her to be proud of me and I don't plan on going out of my way to apease her anymore. This doesn't mean that I don't love her, but I know I've missed opportunities in my life and made sacrifices that will forever go unnoticed just to get her approval, and failed to do so.

I think I finally share Tevia's hope too that this may be the year I at least find someone to marry... whether it happens this year or not... I dunno... the fact that I'll be commencing this year without a single prospect somewhat dampens my hopes... but then... anything can happen in Happy Valley.

So here we go... Another year on its way.

No comments: