Monday, January 30, 2006

In need of advice

Ok, question for the family:
I have a friend that I love that I am worried about. It's a long complicated story, but I'll try to not take forever telling it. She's one of my former roommates that I lived with for two years and honestly, she's the one that I'm closest to out of the bunch. She's been dating this guy on and off (mostly on I think) for the past five months. Normally this would be fine, great even. However, here's the problem: this guy dated one of our other roommates for over eight months, had some "difficulties", and then didn't want to marry her until she didn't want to marry him anymore. This other roommate has since moved away and has no idea that this guy is dating one of her best friends. Oh the drama! :-) I started getting worried when last Sunday, we invited her over for dinner and then she didn't show. I called her and she said she was on the phone with her boyfriend and could she call me back. Half an hour later, she calls and asks if he can come too. Sure, that's fine. 45 minutes later, no show. She finally calls and says that she can't make it because she has to go do something with her boyfriend.
The advice I need is should I do or say anything to my friend about this guy? On the one hand, it's not really my business and it's her life. But on the other hand, she's my good friend and she doesn't know all of history surrounding him. Mostly, I'm worried because she keeps coming to my mind. I don't have lots of prompting-type experiences that I was aware were the Holy Ghost telling me to get a move on, but with the frequency with which she keeps popping in my head, I'm starting to wonder.
Anyway, I just want to know what people think. Should I try to talk to her and express my concern or should I just it go? I just don't want her to get hurt like our other roommate who still crys over this guy.

3 comments:

KarenM said...

Hi, I will think about it for a bit, but my first impression is to talk to her, especially if you are having promptings.

teviawall said...

If you keep thinking about her, I would talk to her. You could tell her all that has been on your mind, and that you care about her happiness and the decisions she is making. Give her any information you think is prudent and then let her sort it out. When someone thinks they are in love, it is hard to see clearly. Often, depending on the persons personality, they will do exactly the opposite of what everyone is counseling. Just let her know you care about her. Keep praying for her if you are still worried. We each have to go through struggles, and sometimes those struggles can be alieviated if we listen to someone who is outside looking in. More often than not though, we have to learn things the hard way. It takes a very humble person to learn from someone else's mistakes.

Sorry if that doesn't help a whole lot. I guess the biggest thing is just to let her know you love and care about her, and that you will still be her friend even if she makes bad choices. :)

Bret said...

Tell her - my 2 cents.