Tuesday, January 03, 2006

The Skeleton Key

Okay, so Bret and I watched this movie last night. It took place in New Orleans and there is a lot of magic, vodoo, etc... that is associated with that area due to the diverse population there. I have read a lot of books and seen movies that broached a lot of these subjects and have never been disturbed by them, knowing that I was far removed and didn't believe in most of it. Anyhow, while I was watching the movie I didn't feel scared or disturbed or anything like that. It was just another movie. I would probably give it a 2 out of 5 stars. Anyhow, last night I tossed and turned, as did Bret, who eventually ended up in the guest room because he couldn't sleep and didn't want to disturb me. Well, I had horrible nightmares about being possesed and not being able to get rid of the evil spirits. I was very scared and woke up to get reassurance from Bret, but he was gone. That made me even more nervous. But I calmed myself down and looked for him. That is when I found him the guest room. He reluctantly came back to bed and had a hard time sleeping again. I couldn't fall back asleep because I kept revisiting my bad dreams.

It is amazing to me how much influence movies, books and other media can have on our subconscience. (sp) Even though I wasn't scared during the movie, something in my mind was terrified of things in that movie. It had me singing primary songs in my head and praying all night. Which, oddly enough, we had to tell Jarek to do the same thing that night since his brain had gotten overloaded with Pikmin. He couldn't get the music out of his head.

I don't know what was going on last night, but nobody here slept all that well. Even malik woke up around 11 and thought it was time to get up for the day. Crazy!!!

3 comments:

Bret said...

I also was influenced by this movie, though in a different way. I certainly was not scared or anything, but for most of the movie I thought it was pretty lame and formulaic. But the end was actually very interesting. Even better, they didn't feel they had to tell you what happened (or dumb it up for us idiots), but you had to just realize or connect the dots yourself. This made it a little more intelligent, and I would rate it a 2/3.

Sorry you couldn't sleep babes. I was thinking about kitchen counters, work, and what other projects I can do while you are in NY.

teviawall said...

Just don't do anything rash while I am out there! I trust your taste implicitly(is that the right usage?) though. I would let you pick almost anything out that has to do with our house. You have very good taste.

On the movie, the ending was the part I think that made me unnerved because it wasn't a typical "Hollywood" ending, and therefore made it more real in my mind. And so many people believe in that stuff. I do believe that our reality is what we make it and therfore we could potentially brainwash ourselves to believe many things. The mind is a crazy thing.

Webb said...

I was dragged to that movie when it first came out in theaters by my roommate. I didn't care much for movie, but I actually liked the ending!! I liked the fact that the "bad" guys won! It's just something you don't get to see very often in the movies but all too often in real life... even though I know in the eternal scheme of things good will prevail. I also like the fact that they didn't try to hint that everything would be okay in time either... the bad guys won, that's it. Live with it. There was nothing the complaining audience could do about it... At least YOU guys didn't have to pay freakin $8 bucks to see it in the theater! :)