Thursday, April 06, 2006

Immigration

The last few weeks there has been a lot of discussion and even demonstrations about the new immigration laws going through the senate and congress. And there are very strong opinions. On one side you have people who think all illegals here in the US should be found and sent packing and walls should be set up to keep them out. Others are for providing amnesty and making them part of society. As with most issues, I think the logical solutions lies somewhere in between.

Last night was a great example of how I really didn't realize how strong some people's opinions are about this subject. While playing basketball a few guys were discussing the situation and starting going off on how illegal aliens have "ruined" society in the USA: from taking our jobs to making Americans learn Spanish. Certainly I have a different perspective. It would be near impossible for someone here illegally to take my job. True citizens have a hard enough time getting hired by Prudential (ask the few people over the past few years that have not passed the Prudential background check!). And the people that I hire that have legal visas (I have a few of these) take months of background checks to get on board. So I guess I don't fear that aspect of the latin invasion. And when it comes to learning Spanish - I'm all aboard! Hey, I say let's all learn Chinese now.

But I understand that if you do not have a college degree and are looking for work that doesn't pay well and that most people don't want to do - then the threat of losing a job to an illegal alien is real. I guess my response would be to then go to college, but hey, once again I have a different perspective on the value of education.

So what should we do. Obviously there are perhaps millions of people here illegally. I know many and some are even in our family. I, for myself, don't have a big issue with them being here. I know there are many arguments - and little data to really support. How much do we spend on medical care for them? How many do we have in our jail system? On the other hand, how much money is being put into our tax system and Social Security by people with fake SSNs? Should we just go and kick them out?

That seems drastic to me. I care for many of these people and many contribute positively to our society. I think the true solution would be to have companies stop hiring them. This would be tough, though. Get rid of the illegals and inflation will go up. Services and products will dramatically increase in price. And how do you know if they are illegal, some ask? They have fake IDs. My comment would be that I believe 90% of the companies that hire illegals know they are illegal, even if they have fake IDs.

So, what does genius Bret suggest to the US government and thinktanks? I certainly think we need to try harder to limit the people coming into our borders illegally - if we need a border. Why not be more like Europe? But that is another discussion. For now we have a border and the law says to enter the USA from ANY country, you must follow a process. I don't propose a wall - but perhaps a little more vigilence.

Then make larger penalties for companies hiring illegals. These are seldom enforced - but even if it is only a few companies, if the penalties are high enough, they will be scared. It's like the lottery - you never know.

For the people already here I think the current laws in motion may be on the right track. Let's not grant amnesty altogether, but let's provide an easier way for many to become citizens/legal residents. One way might be to let them register to let it be know they are here. Currently if you are here illegally you have no record as crossing the border. Therefore if you try to apply for residency, they realize you are here illegally and kick you out. Let's register them and put them on a program. The program may consist of x number of years of waiting and several things they must do to qualify - like get tax IDs and pay taxes/social security, etc., even though they would not benefit from some of these. Senate is saying they must learn English - so fine, make them learn English even though it is not our official language (we don't have one). In time these people can then become residents legally and continue living the "dream" they came here for.

Certainly my plan has many holes - like the ones being proposed by congress (and mine seems very similar to theirs now that I read it) - but it's not like I've put hours into thinking about it. I just thought it might start some good conversations. In the end, I guess I feel for these people. They risk a lot to come here. And some that do we welcome with open arms (baseball players from Cuba??). They contribute to our society and do jobs that many Americans would not do. How many of your kids wake up excited to work on farms or bus tables? But I also can not look past the fact that they are breaking laws - current laws. And as a member of the Church I know we are supposed to keep the laws of the land. I also know many illegals have been brought here (as children) against their will or at least with no understanding. And now they are stuck here. They can't go back to Mexico as they may not even relate to that culture now. But here they are illegal. And they can't even apply for residency or they'll get sent back. It is a tough situation and one that won't go away for a long time. That is because this is the promised land and God shines on this country. People want to be here even when they hate us. And so they will come - legally or not.

1 comment:

KarenM said...

Great insights and comments, as usual. boy, would I like to have you around to discuss things like this with. I have been trying to figure this problem out, as I watch the news and all the viewpoints. I think you would make an excellent mayor or leader in our country. I like to feel like I am on their side as far as if they made it here, leave them here and sign them up for citizenship. they are hard workers and willing to do hard jobs that our precious white kids won't do. but I agree we can't let everyone in, so tighten the boarders for sure, and if we have the laws, keep the laws and catch them coming in and send them back. but, what do I know? if I was a farmer, I would hire an illegal. Bill Hettinger does all the time. he is grateful there are some here, willing to help him by the day, and work hard. where we live, the work is now divided up into;Mexicans doing all the kitchen work in small and fast food restaurants, Asian people doing all the nail jobs in all the chemical smelling nail places, just about everyone, Indians from India running all the small gas stations and hotels, and other Hispanics doing all the hotel and yardwork. where are all the white teen agers? Kathy has had 4 jobs now, all lucky and easy and clean and fun. but then again, she could get hired anywhere. oh, I forgot the African-Americans- they are all at our walmarts and kmarts. I hope you all know this is not said in prejudice, and is all generalized. anyways, good subject matter for thought.