Thursday, June 22, 2006

Hiking







So, yesterday I took the boys hiking to a place called Tonto Natural Bridge. It is about ten miles outside of Payson. My sister went with us, which I was very glad for, for many reasons. We were supposed to meet up with my aunt Tammy and her two children, my mom and her friend. Well we were about ten miles outside of Payson and they called and said they were still 15 miles outside of Payson, in a long, long line. There had been a massive accident and they would have to be waiting in that line possibly for two to three hours. Risa and I decided that we would just hang out at the McDonald's play land for a little while (since my kids never get to go there) then head up to the state park. We figured that by the time we got there, made our sandwiches, got things all ready and started hiking down, they would catch up with us.

Well, we had a fantastic time. There were a lot of different trails to choose from, and so we first went down this one trail called the Waterfall trail. It was a steep descent with a lot of stairs. Jarek did such a fantastic job and went ahead with Risa while I struggled to help Malik down. It was ultimately worth it since at the end there was a small trickling waterfall that was surrounded by lush greenery. So we hiked back up, both boys doing a good job, Malik needing far more help than Jarek, and still they hadn't come. So we decided to go to the main trail to start the hike to the Natural Bridge. Well, we started down, and it was tough going for Malik. We took breaks every few minutes so he could rest. About a quarter of the way down both boys wanted to turn back and go out of the canyon. We told them no and that we were going to keep on going. So we went down another few yards and both boys wanted to eat. So we found a shady bench and ate our lunch while people passed us going up and down.

While we were eating, this squirrel kept trying to get our food. It was a very brave squirrel and probably used to people. I had to keep shooing it away because it kept trying to get into the backpack. The boys were laughing so much at it.

So we finished our lunch and kept heading down the canyon. We rested a few more times and then made it to the almost end of the trail where the creek was. The boys took off their shoes and waded in. As we were wading, my mom and Hannah and Donny and my mom's friend came down the trail. My aunt Tammy had to go back up because she had hurt her knee really bad. (actually they ended up having to take her to the hospital on their way home. Still haven't heard if she blew it out or not) Well, since my mom was there, I left the boys with her, and Risa and I finished the rest of the hike up under the bridge. It was so beautiful!!! I wish we could have swam in some of the pools under there, but it was FORBIDDEN!!! So we just hiked around the rocks and took some pictures.

We stayed down there and let the boys get wet and dirty for about 45 min. Then we had to make the journey back up. Jarek was such a trooper and did a fantastic job all by himself. Malik had a little more trouble and Risa and I ended up "swinging" him up, as he would call it, past all the stairs. Risa was on one side of him, I on the other, and we would basically lift him up a bunch of stairs, rest, then do it again. He loved it.

All in all I was so proud of both kids that they didn't give up. It was slow going, and hard for Malik at times, but they did so good. I was proud of myself for not getting irritated and stressed about how slow they had to go. I wanted them to have an enjoyable time and not have to hear me complain about their slow little legs. I think they loved it and I think they will do fine at the Catwalks over the 4th of July weekend. It will also be a little easier for me since my dad and brothers will be there to help!

Again, I am glad Risa went with me, and I am so glad we went. It was a fun experience that we will all remember for a long, long time.

1 comment:

KarenM said...

sounds like so much fun! I wish I could have come. I am glad your boys did so well. I am glad you had the patience to have fun. that makes it so much better. day trips are great!