Sunday, September 17, 2006

The Runaround

Enok is doing well as he is about 5 days old now. He is in the other room sleeping on his "billi-blanket." In the first few days of his life, I have noticed some things about him. He is strong. This may be due to the fact that our other boys have had muscle issues (and perhaps Enok will as well), but he has the ability to lift his head and push with his legs, etc. It is amazing to me that something so young is already so strong. He likes to eat. He does something that neither of our other boys did - and that is craning his neck to look for something to eat. He is constantly craning his neck with his mouth wide open looking for a snack. He is expressive. Enok makes a lot of faces and already smiles quite a bit though he is so young. He has been fun to have in the house and we are glad that he is part of our family.

Yesterday we had to go to the Scottsdale hospital (about 30 minutes away) to get Enok tested for the billi-ruben (sp?). Tevia and I took Enok and left the other boys with grandma. Upon arrival I dropped them off and parked as far away as possible - though not by my choice - more so that parking there is awful and was limited in my choices. So I walked through the whole hospital over to the outpatient lab where Tevia and Enok were waiting. Upon arrival they Tevia informed me that I had to take the perscription to "Admitting" before they could do anything. So I gladly took the paper and headed back through the whole hospital to admitting. Once I got there we had to enter all of Enok's data into the computer, which took some time. Finally they asked for my insurance card and upon looking at it said that they don't take that insurance at this hospital (Aetna) for lab work unless the baby was born there (which it originally was planned to be). At this point I was getting a little frustrated and tried to explain that this is where our pediatrician told us to go, yada, yada, yada. He made some calls and in the end confirmed that Aetna would not be accepted but that we could pay $160 out of pocket if we would like. I did not like.

So I walked all the way down to where Tevia and Enok were patiently waiting only to inform them that we could not do the tests here (I guess more accurately I was not willing to pay for the tests here). We were told of a clinic/lab that would take Aetna just down the road, but it was closed. We then called the hospital where Enok was born and they said they could do it, but the lab was closed so we'd have to go to ER (which costs $100 now with insurance!). In the end we found a place 2 miles from our house that closed at noon so we had to speed all the way back to where we started from in the first place. In the end we got the test done and the results came back good (his levels had gone down).

All through this ordeal I could feel myself starting to get frustrated. I am guessing this is how others feel when they get so upset. But what I was so happy about was that each time that feeling came I could quickly say to myself, "why get upset? You can't change this and it is not the end of the world." Yes, it cost me some gas and time. But it worked out. I could have blamed Aetna (not nearly as good as United Health Care we have had the past 5 years) or Prudential for taking the United away as a choice. But in the end it was some time to spend with Tevia and Enok. Enok slept almost the entire time, so it sure didn't bother him. I am glad I don't get angy quickly. It is easy to see how many moments like this can come up and really ruin your mood for the day.

2 comments:

KarenM said...

It is good that you have been able to escape getting frustrated and angry easily. It makes you more fun to be with. I am glad that Enok is so strong already. That is a good sign. He sounds adorable.

teviawall said...

For the record (not to be petty of course) I was quite calm during the whole ordeal too, and didn't have a melt down or get upset either. That is a good step for me as I am generally the one that gets frustrated and mad quickly. I just figured, well, there is not much we can do, so just do what we can.

I am just thankful that Enok's level's came down. It is a real blessing. I am glad for all the prayers. They must be working!!! Thank you all.