Thursday, March 29, 2007

The Secret

This is actually - in a way - in response to Bret's blog about the book The Secret. No, I haven't read it, and until I read your post I had never heard of it... I tend to be out of the loop since we don't really have TV now and even if we did, we would NOT be watching Opra (I know I know, hers wasn't the only show to talk about it).

Anyway... It's interesting that I was just thinking about this concept lately - the power of the mind. I too believe that each of us has the power to bring about "self fulfilled prophesies." I've seen it all to often in my own life (as well as in the lives of others) not to. Unfortunately, unlike Bret, I think my self-fulfilled prophecies tend to be negative. It's been a persistent life-long struggle with me (and I think even within our family). However, there is good news:

Despite the fact that I (and most of us Webb’s and Borrego’s) am so good at projecting negativity upon me by the power of thought, life is not all bad. I've been blessed with an amazing family that, although they may not truly know me, who I am, or what I face each day (good or bad), I know they still love and care about me. I know they are there (and even here) for me. Of all the things I've doubted or struggled with in life since leaving home, the love our family has for each other has never been questioned (I think for this reason I was so shocked to hear from Tevs that my family seems to think otherwise simply based on the fact that I live in Utah and don't visit all that often)... but this blog is not about that.

The point is, I can look back and clearly recall a number of occasions where I have ruined relationships, lost opportunities, and performed poorly simply as a result of negative thinking (causing my own self fulfilled prophesy). I can also recount occasions where positive thought has brought about positive results. It makes sense then - as I've heard said before - that if you are unhappy with the situation you are in, perhaps you should think about changing your attitude rather than trying to change the situation.

1 comment:

KarenM said...

good blog. I agree. you always seem positive to me, but I guess I only see you on vacation, and everyone is positive on vacation! well, not everyone, as we all know that... heehee. I believe in the power of the mind. and faith. the power of faith. both are actually a power. and the power of the priesthood. I hope you are working hard to get that back! these powers are forces for good that help us daily in our lives. the power of positive thinking can be the difference of life or death for someone with cancer, it can make or break a marriage or relationship, it can take an awful situation and make it better. I have seen it.