Monday, June 18, 2007

Spare Tires, Shampoo and Fathers

This last week Tevia ran over a nail with the Kia Sedona (van). We have had the van over a year now and love it to death. But I have now found one thing I don't like about it - but I don't think it is just for Kia Sedonas. To change the tire was a major ordeal. I remember sitting down to change the tire and thinking of A Christmas Story movie when the father talks about changing the tire in record time. Well, you can't do that with spares these days. First, the spare is under the carriage and has to be released by unscrewing a bolt under a mat on in front of one of the chairs in the back. I happened to remember this from when we bought it, otherwise I would have been really confused. That took time to get off since I couldn't figure out how to get it off. Then the jack and lugnut remover were these tiny things (I guess to save space?) that you hooked together and took about 10 minutes just to lift the van high enough to remove the tire. So what I thought would be a 10 minute job took over 30 minutes. But Tevia took it to Discount Tire the next morning where they repaired the tire and put everything back in less than 15 minutes for the unbeatable price of "free."

My hair is at that odd stage where it isn't short enough or long enough to do anything. So recently I decided I was just going to use conditioner in my hair to style it. It was hard to find some, so I looked under the sink and found a small green bottle. I put it in my hair and noticed it got all sudsy. I was confused and just kept working it in and finally it was fine and worked. The next morning I looked at the bottle more closely and saw that it was shampoo AND conditioner. So I had used shampoo in my hair all day to style it. It made me laugh.

Yesterday was Father's Day. I listened to the talks in church and thought they were great. The speakers, of course, spoke about their fathers. This made me think of my father(s). I realized that out there somewhere is a man who has a child and has no idea what that child is doing with his life. He has no idea that he has a beautiful daughter-in-law and three amazing grand children. He lost his blessings of a father. And then there is another man who was willing to take a young boy along with the girl of his dreams. He tried his hardest to fill that role of a father and probably never realized how well he did. He wasn't perfect, but he did his best and now can enjoy all the blessings a real father deserves. I am eternally grateful for this man and the joys he has brought to me, my mother and my brothers and sister and my wife and children. I hope he knows what a great father he really is.

2 comments:

dad said...

Dear Bret, your comments were touching and much appreciated. It certainly is true that I have made some real whopper mistakes in my life and many that effected you. Some were so bad that I still cringe when I think of them. I would so much love to turn back the clock and play life's game over again and this time fix all the mistakes. The truth is that I would likely make many of the same mistakes over again, but I am sure that many would be corrected and replaced with much better behavior and better results. We all know that such is the purpose of life. So maybe it is all ok afterall, this life has served its purpose. With challenges met with less than perfection and a Savior to clean up the dark spots. Life is good. I never did ever consider you anything less than my son. I always felt selfish in doing it. You are so naturally good and talented. I like to say that Bret was the only one of my children that got my brains, go figure. I love you and am so gratful to call you son. But I want you to know that it is ok to seek to help your natural father if you ever feel inclined to do so. You will not offend me in doing that. We have an obligation to serve all of God's children as we are inspired by the Spirit to do so.

KarenM said...

great shampoo story!;) how funny. I once used conditioner instead of shampoo, and I couldn't figure out why my hair didn't feel clean. Fathers are important in a child's life. you do such a good job of making sure your kids know how much you love them!