Today started off great as I woke up, showered, and headed over to our Shanghai office across the river. Three of us took a taxi over there. I had always thought taxis in Hong Kong were wonderfully inexpensive compared to the USA and other countries I've been to. China is even better. For a good 20 minute ride it was about $3 USD. You can't beat that. The office was in a nice building and it was great to see some old friends.
In the afternoon we headed back to get ready for our company's cocktail party we were having up in a restaurant next door. I dressed smart (one of my fav new terms since being in Asia) and the place was very nice. It had a beautiful view over the river to the other side of Shanghai - the older side. This is the side The Bund is on, and since I can't access Wikipedia behind the great firewall of China I won't provide a link at this point.
For the next two hours I entertained clients and suppliers and exchanged countless business cards. Though I had to be picky on this front as I am limited in my cards here (I hadn't ordered more as I thought I was going back to the states). Afterwards we went to a restaurant with one of our clients and then after that went up to the bar on the roof of the hotel for drinks. I just got back at a fairly reasonable time of midnight.
A few observations: I bet some people would kill for this lifestyle. To get free drinks, socialize, flirt with girls, etc. For me I realize that for the most part it isn't all that great. Obviously I don't drink or flirt. The socializing is okay when I find someone I'm genuinely interested in - but the reality is most people aren't all that fun as they seem to be out just for business. I'm truly not built for sales. Another observation is that things at the mall are very expensive here. I thought HK was expensive, but due to taxes here and poor dollar exchange rate I was thinking of buying some underwear until I realized they were $30 for 3 pair. Nope, not that great of underwear. Last observation: so much of this socialization walks the tight line between fake politeness for business sake and genuine interest. I can see how many people get turned off to this and put up their nose at corporate gatherings and business. I even find myself doing it (walking that line) as there are some people I truly am just interacting with because I feel I have to since they are a client. But others I truly enjoy. So for my part I choose to just say the good comes with the bad. And though I would rarely volunteer to go to the bar at night with a bunch of the guys for drinks, I can enjoy the social aspects of it and enjoy the stories and learning about others. I think my presence - since I don't drink and obviously am not drunk - has somewhat of a calming effect as well. And I think that is good.
1 comment:
I guess most guys would like that life style. However, not you, Jake, or Tom. Isn't that interesting? You are all 3 not typical guys. that is good. I am glad for that. holy cow! $30 for underwear! they must be awfully good-looking underwear. I will go look up the Bund all by myself.
Post a Comment