Yesterday was my first full day in Shanghai where I didn't have a conference to attend or go to work. So I planned to fit in a lot. In the morning I had to switch rooms out of the big suite and ended up in room 310. I actually like this room much better. It is smaller and warmer and seems more cozy. I'm glad I switched.
I had eaten a couple of jiao zi (dumplings) for breakfast for the hefty price of 50 cents. After switching rooms I headed out to Yu Yuan Garden. It is an old part of Shanghai that has been rebuilt but still looks very old and Chinese. It is a tourist trap, but I knew this going in and didn't have any issues. I ate lunch there. I had these huge xiaolongbao where you actually drink the soup out of the middle from a straw. They were great. I didn't go into the garden as I was told the gardens in Souzhou will be much better so I kept my money and will do that tomorrow. I ignored the shopping but watched the people. I have been able to get around the city either by foot or metro, so it is both cheap and easy. I had also spent some time in the morning right down the street from my apartment at Jing An Temple. It is like 100 yards from where I live and was an old temple that was destroyed and then rebuilt (common in China). It was also beautiful and I enjoyed the religious aspects of it. It is a buddhist temple.
In the afternoon I took a long walk up to the Jade Buddha monestary. It was a good walk to see many parts of the city and people. There aren't nearly as many "westerners" in Shanghai - at least not the parts I have been even the tourist places - as in Hong Kong. That is a little different. It is also nice to hear Mandarin being spoken as I try to glean words from time to time and use the little I know when I can. The monestary was very nice. The monks did some singing and I took lots of photos (will post next week). I walked back and it was getting towards the evening. I ate some "spicy" chicken mcnuggets at McDonald's which are quite yummy and I haven't even seen them in Hong Kong.
This morning the weather was a little rainy and overcast. I had chosen to do my "indoor" things today. I went to the Shanghai museum in the morning and found a huge line. I therefore vetoed that idea. I met a nice Chinese couple who I spoke with in Chinglish (their term). They were so nice and impressed with my little Mandarin. I then headed over to the "knock off brand" market. Here you can buy fake anything. Most of it, like in Hong Kong, is all high end brand stuff, which I don't like, but they had some more normal stuff. I bought a couple of sunglasses and some shoes and some shirts. All for under $30 total or so. Not bad. It is now later in the afternoon and I'm just relaxing a little. I walked a lot yesterday and expect to tomorrow, so I don't want to do too much. I bought a movie at the market as well and will probably watch it later. It is the movie "Jumper" which is still in theaters. You can buy any movie here on DVD for cheap.
Zai jian.
1 comment:
I love reading your daily stories. I thought about you and your family all weekend, you adventuring off all by yourself far far away, and Teva venturing off with her family. We missed you all!
Post a Comment