Sunday, August 03, 2008

Mexico 2008

Tevia has blogged about mexico, and will most likely blog some more. But I thought I would give my perspective of the great trip and the last week.

The trip down to Rocky Point was fun. We stopped in Gila Bend and I got a "Tornado" from the gas station that was surprisingly delicious. The house we stayed at, which we had stayed at 2 years ago, was so nice and comfortable. I was surprised more construction hadn't taken place in the area - a testament to the slower economy the past couple of years. Without repeating much of what Tevia wrote, I will focus on my favorite parts.

The FOOD. Our last trip down we had a wonderful dinner at a chicken (pollo asado) place downtown. We were able to stop there again (called Pollo Lucas). Once again it did not disappoint. The outdoor (shaded with fans) seating and outstanding chicken made this another great highlight. I enjoy this restaurant so much and hope we get to go back many times. We also had other great food moments. We had some great carne asada tacos the first night from a stand on the street. Later that night we got some more tacos - this time some tacos al pastor (a marinated pork) which were amazing. We also found a great ice cream place (paletaria) with heavenly Mexican popsicles. We ended up eating here every night. Every one I tried was awesome, from the lime to the coconut to tasting Tevia's grosella. The trip there and back would have been worth the food alone.

The BEACH. I love beaches, and though this beach is not the white sand, crystal clear water we have grown to love in the caribbean, it is still a beach and was fun. The waves were great for body surfing and the water was actually almost too hot! I loved playing in the waves and seeing my kids play in the water.

The AQUARIUM. This small aquarium is so fun. Though it feels like it is in a garage and the dogfish was not quite so fun to tease this time (apparently he is old), I still loved feeding the turtles and sea lion and seeing the different fish.

The COMPANY. Our last trip was fun, but I felt that with a few less people and having Jacob and Millie there it made it even more fun. I am so glad they came down. It is also fun to be with other Spanish speakers (Jake and Tev's dad) while in Mexico. It was fun to spend time with everyone and the trip felt very "chill."

The only thing that wasn't so fun? Well, it wasn't an issue, but getting a flat tire in Mexico did raise the stress level for a little bit. After filling several times and seeing that it kept going flat Tevia's dad took things under control and took the tire off and replaced it with the spare and then with Tevia took it to a local tire shop and had them fix the tire for $5. He then replaced the tire and it all required no effort on my part. I was extremely grateful for this and how much he always just wants to help out. In the end it didn't cost us much in money or time or inconvenience.

Going back to work after vacation is never fun. It took a few days to get back into work. I have decided to try and wait it out a little at work as I am convinced we will see some big changes soon. If not, then I will hire a headhunter and move on. But for now I enjoy coming home on time every day and having a slightly different scope of responsibilities. It may not be fun or take the best advantage of my skills, but I can still bring value and do a good job and have an impact on the new system we are implementing.

No comments: