So, I am sitting here at work with a million things to do, but I can't move forward because the company PRO7 I need to work on can't get me access to their SVN until Monday. Add in the fact that last night I was flaked by the stake for my annual membership audit and I am getting annoyed at not getting done many of these high priority assignments. But, at least it is Friday. Although I do have to run an employment workshop tomorrow, it is only 3 hours and I am looking forward to resting tomorrow afternoon. This lifestyle sucks. 8 hours sleep, 1 hour in the morning to get to work. 8-10 hour day at work depending on the day. That leaves at most 6 hours at night and when you add in the church you average less than 3-4 hours a night to spend with your family and unwind with games etc. My Sundays have also largely been taken away form me.
Why am I ranting? Cari and I were given a new assignment by the Stake through the bishop to attend the temple once a week during the daytime hours as official patrons. While I am thrilled to go to the temple once a week, and I will request to be a temple worker(which at the Provo temple they almost always grant) it is 3 more hours gone, the need of a babysitter(during the day) and honestly I'm not sure if I will be able to stay afloat.
It is strange for me to think I will begin to struggle with my priorities of life when thus far I have been so diligent in doing things like a weekly date with my wife, Internet Safety Podcast community service and general computer service and help for all those in my complex. This company was such a cushy job in the beginning and I took it mostly because it would allow me to continue a fairly flexible life.
God surely must know how to lay the trials on the right order. There is no way I would have predicted such a lifestyle change in so little time. I had honestly wondered what trials lay in front of me a few months ago when even job hunting was unable to phase me mentally. The news at my company has continued to deteriorate to the point of 50% layoffs sometime soon.
While I am still pretty sure I will not be affected(at least initially) the moral is so low most teams are accomplishing absolutely nothing. Which in an ironic sense is funny since it is really allowing me to shine since my projects are going fairly well. I am so excited to get a break in Hawaii and I think we all need to think about the future and a way to escape slowly from this dumb pattern of life!
4 comments:
wow! you are busy! your life did change quickly. I can still remember the day my husband got a job after years of schooling at IBM, and he said, "Now I will just have to work 9-5, and my life will be mine." oh yeah. Not when you add in kids, church, sports, fixing houses, chores, fixing cars, date nights, etc.
Yes, everyone has 24 hours. It will now be just a matter of prioritizing.
good luck with that!
how do they expect you to go to the temple once a week when you are working? that is an odd request.
don't stress out. Life will be busy from now on. Learn how to relax, and yes, Hawaii should be good for all of us. Let me know what I can do. too bad we don't live closer and I could babysit.
I hope Cari is hanging in there.
At least Hazel is cute and sweet and fun! and she gets to lay around all day. Lucky girl.
when can she start helping with chores? :)
Bro, I hear you. I have really been thinking of priorities lately as I have been thinking of other job opportunities, etc. The more I think of it, the lower money goes down on the list and the higher wanting to be by family and doing a 'job' that has great people increases. I miss the days of hanging out with people from work - and being motivated by talent around me. As I make my way up you automatically become somewhat distanced from people and to be honest, most people in upper management are old and not too fun. So enjoy your time as a new employee working with a good friend and, probably, a bunch of young, fun guys. Let's philosophize much in Hawaii. The next few months may the best of times to do something dramatic, cause, hey, any of us could lose our jobs at the drop of a hat anyway. =)
Priorities have been on my mind lately too. Interesting how we all seem to have these "trials" in waves yet they seem to still allow us to come together as family and "morn with those that morn and comfort those that stand in need of comfort."
Each of us seem to be going through, or have gone through, something that helps us better comfort someone else. Millie, Ellery and I have been tried this last week (I'll blog more about it on our blog -- and the break in was the EASY part of it all so I won't go too much into it now). But I am SO thankful for family (especially the Ropers after this week) and wish now, more than ever, that the rest of us all lived close to each other... EVEN IF IT IS IN UTAH! I just need family right now.
Wow! Sounds crazy! If you guys ever need a babysitter just let me know! I'd love to watch Heather, I mean Hazel! She's a cutie, and Ellery would like playing with her too! :)
Post a Comment