Sunday, November 30, 2008

Twilight Movie - Thanksgiving

This Thanksgiving we woke up early and drove up to Lakeside to spend the time with Tevia's family. It was a quick and easy drive (we have found it much easier to travel on Thursday morning than on Wednesday evening) and we even got to see some snow. In fact, upon arrival at grandmother's house we were able to have a little snowball fight.

Dinner was wonderful with some great turkey, mashed potatoes, corn, etc. Even the yams were great. Tevia's paternal grandparents also joined us along with Quentin and Yesenia. The boys and I spent much of the time finishing our Avatar series on DVD. We are down to the last DVD of the last season (which we actually watched when it aired on TV). This series has quickly grown to one of my favorite TV shows of all time. It is touching, fun, and exciting.

Friday we woke up early for Black Friday to go to Walmart at 5 AM. There was a Blue Ray DVD player for a good price, so we thought we'd go. We drove over and realized that it was probably going to be really crowded when we noticed so many cars on the road. And we were right. The parking lot was full and there was a line to get in. The three of us in the car decided it wasn't worth it and drove home to get some more sleep.

Friday night Tevia and I went on a date to go the movie Twilight. I loved the books, but was a little skeptical of the movie going in. The reviews were okay, and most people hated the actors chosen for the main roles. Probably due to this low expectation, I actually really enjoyed the film. I thought the acting was passable and I thought the director did a great job capturing some of the emotions that made the first book - and subsequent one or two - so appealing. Were the special fx great? No. But the book was not as much a fantasy book as a romance - and in the film they were able to capture that pretty good. It was fun to hear all the teenage girls sigh and swoon when Edward did anything romantic and several times I recalled the fun feelings of falling in love with Tevia and reading this book a year ago when Tevia convinced me I should read the books. One of the funny parts of the movie for us, though certainly not meant to be funny, was every time Carlisle was on screen we would laugh. I laughed because I couldn't remember the actor's name and he was so familiar and seemed so out of place. We stayed to the end to see the actor's name. It was Peter Facinelli who most people probably don't even know but I remember him from the short-lived show Fast Lane. One last comment on the movie - I absolutely loved the music. I know Stephenie Meyer was very involved in putting the soundtrack together (and she even convinced her most loved band Muse to contribute a song). I loved the music and the songs. It even ended with one of my fav Linkin Park songs from their last album ("Leave out all the rest"). I definitely would recommend the movie to anyone that liked the book. Tevia gave a thumbs up to the actor who portrayed her fav character Jacob Black - so that was good, too. Congrats to Ms. Meyer who put together a fun story and now has gotten filthy rich off of it.

Saturday we had a family get-together to celebrate Tevia's grandparents' 60th wedding anniversary. Last time I attended a get-together on this side of the family was for a Thanksgiving dinner - and by the time I was able to eat they were out of most of the food. This event was consistent with my last experience, but it was good to see others and celebrate a great achievement. Immediately afterwards we went to the movies to see Madagascar 2 with everyone. Due to family photos taking longer than expected, we were a little late and ended up with front row seats. The movie was fun, but sitting on the front row really sucks. It is hard to imagine that years ago as a kid it seemed so cool to sit on the front row.

We left today to come home and once again traffic was better than expected. It was a great trip. Earlier in the week we had Nephi and Naomi visit us from Japan. They left Thanksgiving day and we were sad they couldn't stay that extra day. it was good to see them as well this week and get to know Naomi.

We truly are blessed in our lives. It was nice to celebrate that truth and demonstrate our gratitude by eating as much as we possibly could.

1 comment:

lovebug said...

We were thinking about going to Walmart too but decided it was too crowded already during normal times to try and go at a crazy time. And did you hear about the guy who died at a walmart in NY? How crazy is that? I can only imagine what actually took place and happened to that guy. All I can say is, it truly must have been his time to go. Anyways, there have been a couple movies that have come out in theaters that we wanted to see and last week we actually went to go see Quantom Solace but when we got there Twilight was at about the same time and after looking at the title for a couple minutes I became so curious to what the movie was like especially because I was so infatuated with the books, so I asked Jimmy if we could change our plans and see Twilight. Being nice as always he said sure and we walked into the theater for Twilight. I did not like it at all in respect to how much I loved the books. In fact I laughed the whole time. I actually felt a little embarrassed that I liked these books so much because watching the movie made the story sound so dumb. I do not think that the love between Bella and Edward was seen as real at all in the movie. However, I actually did like some of the choice of characters like Alice, and Jacob and like Bret said, I enjoyed the music. But I think my favorite part of the whole movie was the Harry Potter 6 preview at the beginning!!