Sunday, December 21, 2008

Bret's Favorite Christmas

OK, it is very hard for me to think of a favorite Christmas. I love all Christmases. Even ones where every one is sick like last year. But the one that seems to hold the most 'excitement' in my memory was not the Crayola Caddie year (I know that one gets a lot of hype from the parents, but I don't really remember being so excited). It would be a year we had Christmas in Detroit at Kathy and Fred's home. I remember the feeling in the air of excitement. I really wanted a Transformer and sure enough, Santa brought me a Transformer. I was so excited. It wasn't the one I wanted, but I was still so excited to get one. I remember spending hours transforming it. I'm not sure why that Christmas stands out so much in my mind, but it does. Maybe it was the wonderful spirit in the home: the home of a great family. Maybe they had more decorations than we usually did. Maybe it was just fun being with more people. I think I would have been around 7 or 8. A close second was the year I got a new bike. It was awesome - and then stolen a few weeks later. Santa didn't offer us any insurance on it. =(

In thinking back over the years, it would appear for being such a healthy person that I have had quite a few Christmases where either I have been sick or others in my family. How lame is that - to get sick once a year and it to be on Christmas. This year, unfortunately, looks to be on par with that tradition. When we asked Jarek what one of our family traditions was for Christmas, he said "get sick".

1 comment:

KarenM said...

Yes, you do get sick often at Christmas time. weird. I usually get a cold right before, and another cold in late winter.
Yes, I remember the transformer thing. You loved that. and the cool bike! it was really cool. Do you remember the big board dad made for you with an electric trucking set on it, all painted with parking lots and roads and trees and stuff? and we used stompers to run all over it? dad worked so hard to try and give you something meaningful that year.