Friday, November 27, 2009

Thanksgiving

I felt like we were all so separated and kind of doing our own thing this year. I hope we can fix that next year!
Dad & I enjoyed the day, although no matter what, I missed all of you.
The train ride down to the city was beautiful! That first made me miss Tevia, as I could see her snapping pics the whole way down. The morning mist was just rising, the sun coming through, and the water of the Hudson shone blue and still, reflecting every mountain, every bridge, every scene, like you see in a calendar or a puzzle photo. Gorgeous!
Then I wished the boys were on the train with me. I hope we can take them this summer down to the city to see some sites and just ride the train and enjoy NY.
Our plan to watch the parade from Central Park was thwarted, as we decided to get off one stop too early to allow me not to have to walk as far. Ha ha. That backfired. The police had every road blocked off so you could not cross, so we had to walk and walk, trying to get around Columbus circle, which never happened. So we sat on a wall and watched the top of the parade. Dad said we were about 80 yds away. It was still fun and exciting, until the few of us that had climbed this wall got kicked off by a hotel staff guy. So we moved on...
We decided to go see the Central Park zoo. We had been there years before, and knew it was small, but we love zoos, and it was such a nice day outside.
We took the subway back down and under the streets that the parade was on, so we finally ended up on the other side of Central Park. It was $10, and usually we would have said that was not worth it for the few animals you see compared to a real zoo, but we loved it. As they fed the seals, they had them do tricks, like wave and bark and jump and dive, etc. THAT reminded me of, "It was feeding time at the zoo...." Anybody remember those lines? Bret? Ah yes, Sammy the Seal, which we must have read 1,000 times. So then I missed Bret, especially as we walked through the tropical house, filled with all colors of birds, snakes, etc. My camera does not do well, but I tried.
Then we heard a mob roar, and went to see the lemurs, and thought of Kathy, and her wish that there were pink lemurs when we were up at the tiny zoo in Millbrook.
We walked past dozens of hot nut stands, and at most, they were roasting chestnuts, literally, on an open fire. Cool. We didn't buy any, but we thought of Tevia.
We walked all the way from Central Park down 5th ave to Times Square. By then it was noon, we were hungry, tired, and dad was going low. We had wanted something interesting and fun to eat for lunch, and had predecided not to get pizza, chinese, or deli, as we get that often. Well, that is all we saw! We must be bad at knowing where to look, as I am sure this city must have some other places. We saw 3 TGIFs, and didn't want that, so we headed toward the Olive Garden in Times Square. It was closed and rented out to a private party. So, we got Deli, which made me think of Tom, as that is his favorite place to eat. Even right before he left for his mission, and we told him we would take him wherever he wanted to eat dinner, he chose a deli in NY.
We passed Wicked and wished J & Cari with there with us.
We saw hundreds of Yankee and Giant stuff being sold on the sidewalks, and thought of Jimmy.
It is wonderful to have such great memories of all you kids. I am very grateful for my family!

No comments: