Sunday, December 06, 2009

The Outsiders

I had never read this popular book, or saw the movie. Dad had to read it in high school.  It was chosen as our book club book this month, so I was glad to finally read it.  The girl wrote it while still in high school, so the writing itself could have been improved, but I loved the concept, and the characters.  I had 'greasers' in my high school, and dated several.  One time, Mark came over to wash and dry his flannel shirt after it got blood on it during a fight. Fun days.
So we Netflixed the movie, and watched it last night.  Boy!  The stars in it!  Now you all know dad and I know little of actors names and what movies they are in.  This short movie was made in 1983. It had a very young Tom Cruise, Matt Dillon,  the young kid star  from Karate kid, Diane Lane, and Patrick Swazy.  If they redid the movie today, it would be better, as they never quite captured the relationships and feelings of the book. It also did a poor job of developing the theme of labels and reputations.
We enjoyed it, and I even cried.  I recommend both.

1 comment:

Bret said...

I don't think I read the book, but did see the movie. It was a huge movie, especially after all the guys became famous (I think Kevin Bacon was in there, too). I remember liking it.