Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Kindness

Monday Tevia was not feeling well so I decided to work from home in order to help support her andgive her more opportunity to rest and get well. One way to help was to take the boys to school. We don’t live too far from the school, but because school starts so early (7:30) and our boys are a little slow, we often drive them to the corner so they don’t have to walk as far. They always walk home, but mornings can be tough so early.

I drove the back way up two streets and we laughed as we talked about the day and how they should be good and kind, etc. As usual they were so full of energy and love and we kissed and hugged and I watched as they started towards the school. After a few yards I noticed Malik was having some struggles carrying his violin case. He had a big jacket on and his backpack and trying to keep the violin in hand and walk quickly to the school was a challenge for him. As I watched I thought of how such a simple task can be so difficult for some people. But he wasn’t complaining or crying, but you could see he kept adjusting it and trying to find the best way to hold it. I wished that I could get out and carry it for him. But I didn’t think he would appreciate his dad getting out of the car and then taking his violin. Maybe he would have liked that – but I didn’t.

And then I saw Jarek walk over to him and without a word take the violin case out of his hand and carryit for him. This small act of love nearly brought me to tears as I watched Jarek – who isn’t all that much bigger or stronger – sacrifice for his little brother. He did it with a smile as they walked up the sidewalk. I marveled at the kindness of the gesture – and at the ability Jarek had to even notice an opportunity to help. I was touched that our children care for each other and despite their weaknesses look for opportunities to serve. Jarek didn’t know I was watching him. Carrying the violin would have been nearly as difficult for Jarek as it was for Malik. But he did it to help his brother and show his love for him.

As I drove home I was grateful for that small experience. I thought about it often as I went through the day and decided I need to look for more opportunities to serve those around me. You can learn a lot from your kids.

4 comments:

KarenM said...

That was a beautiful way to start my day! It did bring tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing.

teviawall said...

I think Bret should be added to the list of people doing kind things for others. He has gone out of his way so far this year to be kind. Every night he makes sure the dishes are all done, he makes an extra effort to be sure the recycling and garbage are being taken care of. He reads to jarek an malik at night before bed, he swept and mopped last night, he plays band hero with me, he took the kids to scouts. He builds train tracks for and plays cars with Enok. He is just being super kind to all of us. :) Thanks Bret!

Webb said...

Well... we can learn a lot from YOUR kids. They are exceptional!

:)

KarenM said...

way to go Bret!
It is a joy to be around kindness.
It blesses lives everyday. I love to look for it. Sometimes it is almost tangible. You can feel it in the air when a kindness has happened.