I finished the third/last book in this series. It has been years since books have affected me like this. The Hunger Games were good, but the two follow up books couldn't keep the momentum (though I enjoyed them!). After reading these books I'd honestly have to say that they belong in a group of books at a much higher level. Like Dune and Lord of the Rings, they create a new world with religion, culture, and a visible world. They made me think more. They made my faith grow. They helped me understand love better. Maybe this is because of the time in my life I read the books they had such an impact on me. Whatever it is, I love these books. Here are a couple of reasons why:
1 - The books are deeply religious without being preachy. In fact, most readers probably wouldn't even pick up the deeply religious and even dogmatic undertones. Good versus evil; opposites necessary for life. A god who gives his life for his people. A truly deep reflection on what faith is and why it is essential for religion. I can't help but think that only a Mormon could have written such deep insights.
2 - A completely unique world and "magical" powers. Enough vampires, elves, and magic. If there is anything else out there with even a similar concept, I have not read it.
3 - Complex relationships and continual new plots to enjoy. I couldn't figure out what was going to happen, nor did I even want to. It just comes.
Though not without some slow parts (mostly in book 2) this series kept me reading late into the nights, made me cry several times, and was shockingly violent at times (e.g. for adult readers, not my 11 year-old). I couldn't help thinking about my dad as I read it as metals play a huge part in this universe. And he is a metallurgist (thankfully not a hemalurgist!).
1 comment:
Sounds good. I will have to try them. Do you have the book or was it library? Bring the first one to the desert if you have it.
I love when books actually affect our lives. This is how I felt about the last book I read, it made me a better person.
Post a Comment