Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Fishing the Delaware river

We tried really hard...
Dad looked up places to fly-fish, and after some map-reading and finding sites on line, and trying to get a license for him, and looking up restrictions, we decided we were ready to go.
My friends told us that a place called Rosco is a very good fly-fishing area, and it also has regular fishing.  Dad looked up the current ratings, and Rosco said good, and Delaware River said Excellent.
and so we headed out toward the great Delaware, and dad didn't bring a map because he thought he knew about a road that drove all along side of it, and we did find the road, but- the road was up  on the mountain side, and the river below.  We found a few places to stop, but the river was raging and high and deep, even along the edges.  We drove for 2 hours,  and found a small town with a bait and tackle shop.  He was happy because he did find a good fishing net like he wanted for a good price.
The lady there said the river was too swollen and all muddied up from the torrential rain storms we had on Sunday to fly fish.  She claimed the fish would not even see a fly unless you added sound or smell to it. (I had no idea they did that but the evidently do)
  We saw a bridge going over the river to Pennsylvania, and some people fishing from the rocky shore there. We drove on over there, and he gave it his best for about 3 hours.  He caught one tiny  4" fish.
No one else was catching anything.
I thought it was too early, as we arrived at 4.  There was no shade, and I couldn't sit and read in the car or in the camp chair, so I was pretty uncomfortable.  (I had sat on the camp chair the night before watching fire works, and it isn't so great for bad backs).
I patiently watched him and enjoyed just the beauty of the area.
As we started leaving about 7pm, sure enough, bugs came out and some fish started jumping.  (should I insert here that I told him to come at 7 cause my dad told me fish don't bit in the hot, sunny hours)?
So he tried a bit again and finally gave up.  Poor dad.  But I think he liked the actual sport of throwing his line out there over and over again.  I like the sit and relax kind of fishing.  Next time I will bring my pole.  7 hours and no fish, but a beautiful ride.

2 comments:

lovebug said...

Glad you guys made it out there! =) Too bad you didnt get any fish tho

Carolyn said...

I've started to wonder who rates the fishing in certain areas - because whoever is rating these places as "good" must be a better fisherman than me because I haven't caught anything in a really, really long time...
Enjoying the beauty of nature is one of the fun parts of fishing. I still prefer early morning fishing over afternoon/evening fishing though. If only that didn't mean I had to wake up so early...