Wednesday, February 01, 2012

January - The Monday of Months

I don't know about everybody else, but January was a tough month for me.  I'd say mostly just because of work.  Almost every day it seemed like there was a new emergency, or a new urgent thing that needed to be done, or just plain dealing with angry people.  I'm used to days like this every once in a while, but almost every day for a month?  That is difficult to endure.  I am hoping February gets much easier - or at least 'normal'.  It just seems like for a month straight I was exhausted and stressed.

The odd part is, besides work, January was a great month.  I love to start out with new goals and work to achieve things.  I've seen progress in my boys, our family, and my own personal life.  I've lost nearly 10 pounds in January (can't believe I had that much to lose in the first place!).  I started playing volleyball with Tevia, which has been fun.  I've started running a mile a week and seen progress.  Meals have been spectacular.  Weekends have been fun.  The weather ideal.  So it is funny that I can base so much on a month ONLY by what happened at work.  But even though we all know work isn't that important, it certainly can have a big impact on our lives.  If ever there were a month that going to a bar after work and getting hammered sounded like a good idea, this was it!  I used to think it was dumb to go drown your sorrows because as soon as you sober up, you have to deal with them again.  But I think for the first time in my life I can see some logic in it.  There is value in forgetting - or leaving behind - the stresses of the day and enjoy the evening.  Yes, tomorrow you have to face them again, but at least you didn't spend all evening and night worrying about them.  Don't think that I am planning to take action on this.  I'm still not really tempted to drown my sorrows in alcohol (sorrows is the wrong word - stress would be better).  But I can see how so many people do it on a daily basis.  My guess is most people just really hate their jobs.  That is too bad.

The good news is today was already a much better day.  So hooray for February.  As mentioned, January had some great moments.  Here are a few:

- Seeing Jarek get inspired to work on family history and do some indexing.  He continues to be a shining example to me.  What a great spirit he is.
- Eating lunches with Enok.  I love eating with Enok during lunch and seeing his bright disposition and eternal smile.  It has been a much-needed break for my working days.
- Saying prayers with Malik.  I love to hear Malik say his prayers (he likes to have either Tevia or I there to listen each night).  He has a very grateful spirit and truly converses with his Father in Heaven.
- Spending nights watching Malcolm in the Middle with Tevia.  I haven't enjoyed sitting watching a show with Tevia so much since watching BSG in Hong Kong each night.  I look forward to it each night.

Life is great.  I am so blessed.  I love having my brother and sister in Phoenix.  I look forward to having my parents move out here - someday.  And Tommy and Holly.  Families are forever.

2 comments:

KarenM said...

I always enjoy your thoughts.
The men in the 'old' days would work hard all day, then take an hour or two to stop at a bar and relax before they got home. I can see our social behavior has changed, but the needed switch from a stressful job to home still seems to have to have some place. I remember women would have their husbands come home, sit down, give them slippers, a drink, and have them read the paper or watch tv for awhile while she made dinner. Boy how we have changed.
It took me years to feel more for dad, and how hard he works, and how stressful a job can be. I used to just say, 'don't let it bother you'. I can see by your comments and aged wisdom how hard that is to do.
The stress multiplies when you do not feel confident in your job.
I am glad you ended naming your blessings. You have been greatly blessed. Your kids are awesome, and Tevia a wonderful companion.
You are a blessing to others as well.

KarenM said...

I forgot to mention, I started the year out worried and thinking 2012 would be very difficult for me.
My January was great, weather-wise, and I have found lots of goals, adventures, and fun things to look forward to.
Good job with the 10 lbs! It is amazing how sneaky those little pounds are.