Monday, June 11, 2012

38 Years

A couple of weeks ago at a church activity I was talking with one of the women in our ward whose husband is currently going to Thunderbird.  She knew I had gone to Thunderbird and we talked a little about the school and my internship, etc.  She then asked me when I graduated.  She guessed something like 2009.  I laughed and said 2000.  She thought about it and laughed and said that is impossible.  "Aren't you my age?" she asked.  I asked how old she was.  She said "26".  

Needless to say, she made my night.  I insisted I was soon turning 38 and thought about what I had imagined I would be doing at 38.  To be honest, I probably never imagined what I'd be like at 38, as that is a random age, but certainly I thought about 40.  I can say that I thought I would have done an international assignment, that I'd be too old to play basketball well, and that I'd still have fooled my wife enough to keep her with me.  

Good news is that I have done an assignment, am still married - but I actually can still play basketball.  So things are even better than I imagined.  I also remember when I got my LASIK eye surgery when it was still fairly new that I thought to myself "if it lasts 10  years, I'll be happy, because who needs good eyes after 35?"  Thank goodness it has lasted over 10 years.  

I don't feel all that old.  Whether this be due to good genes (seems the Pylick genes are pretty good), great food (which comes from my wife who does a great job providing not only great tasting food, but good food, too), or all of the preservatives I ate as a kid (yeah Kraft Macaroni and Cheese!), I'm happy I feel good.  I guess I'm also lucky to have most of my hair and very little gray hair (I have found a couple).  

This week we were up on Lakeside and Tevia rented a cabin near Rainbow Lake for my birthday.  It was awesome.  It was an old log cabin probably built at least 60 years ago.  Outside our front door you could see the lake.  We took a boat out on the lake to do some fishing, which wasn't very successful.  It was quite windy and was hard to row the boat.  Afterwards we went out for an early dinner at La Casita followed by a quick trip to Dairy Queen.  We then came back and fished some more and everybody caught at least one fish.  Malik caught 7 and was quite proud of himself.  They were all tiny fish - none were keepers. 

The next morning the boys (Jarek and Malik) went shooting with their uncle and grandpa and I went down to fish again (Enok and Tevia joined me later).  It was a beautiful morning; the first morning of my 39th year.  I didn't want any fanfare this year: no cake, no singing.  But I enjoyed the birthday a lot.  

I have a wonderful family.  A still-gorgeous wife.  I have family living near (for the most part).  I get to play basketball several times a week - and still love it.  And I have a pretty good job that lets me spend time with my family.  Thanks for a great 38 years world!

3 comments:

KarenM said...

yep, you have life pretty good! I am happy for you. and you don't look 38, that is for sure!

lovebug said...

I have to say, I don't think of you as 38. If I didn't know you I would be fooled too. And I hope people can say the same thing when I am that age lol.

happy birthday bro. love you lots

KarenM said...

today, when I told the nurse doing my EKG that I was going out to see my new granddaughter, said,"you don't look old enough to have grandkids!" wow! that felt nice.