Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Idaho Adventure

This last weekend I attended the funeral of my paternal grandfather in Burley, Idaho.  It was great to see my family (many cousins and aunts and uncles).  The trip was quick, but good.  It was also fun to travel with my brother and sister.  The best memory of the trip will be the following sequence, which I wanted to record.

----

I never miss flights.  I am proud of my good karma with traveling via plane.  So I really was tempted to leave later that morning.  Our flight was at 2 PM and it was only a two hour drive to Salt Lake City.  But I thought we should be conservative as we had a baby with us and then we would have time to eat some lunch.  We headed out of the hotel and said our goodbyes.  I lead out in the rented Ford Explorer and was followed by my brother Tommy (or Tom as he likes to be called now; as if having a child makes him a man) who lives in Provo. 

The hotel is literally right next to the highway that goes to SLC.  I get on the highway and we chat it up like siblings do while doing 80 on the freeway.  About 40 minutes later I get a small thought about why I haven't seen any signs for Utah.  We should be close to the border by now.  My mind starts computing.  Could we be going the wrong way?  No, that is impossible.  How could I have turned the wrong way?  Wouldn't Tommy have said something?  The scenery looks familiar, right?  Wait, did we see windmills on the way up?  Then I look at the compass on the dashboard.  It has to be lying.  How can we possibly be going North?!?!

All of this happens in my mind in about 3 seconds.  We are going the wrong way; the opposite way of the airport.  We have been traveling for over 40 minutes.  I tell my brother to confirm this on his phone but immediately begin turning off on the next exit.  He confirms it and I tell him to call Tommy.  Tommy mentions he thought we were going the wrong way but didn't say anything because he thought maybe we had a short cut or something (what faith younger brothers have!). 

We turn around and try to determine if it is even possible to make the flight.  I am determined we will make it.  I am worried about speeding, though, as I had seen many cops on the way up.  So we stay about 10 miles over the speed limit to minimize our chances of getting a ticket.  We need every minute to make up the time.  We are just about back to where we started when Jacob says he has to pee.  Really?  Now?  He can't wait, so we have to pull over.  This seems funny, especially when about 90 minutes later he says we have to stop again.  It is like going to San Diego with Jimmy all over again.  He hasn't even had anything to drink since our last stop.  How small is this kid's bladder?  We are cutting it close, but when you gotta go...  I even take advantage of the stop to empty mine.  Why not?  The best part is when we stop at the Taco Bell to go in, the men's bathroom is closed for repairs.  How typical.  We easily remedy this by entering the women's bathroom together.  I'm sure somebody will get a kick out of that security video.

The baby (Ms. Lexi) hasn't enjoyed the detour through Idaho.  It literally sounds like she is trying to kill herself by a mixed cry/choking routine.  Kathy does a good job of not getting stressed.  It's not big deal to me; I'm completely focused on looking out for cops and willing time and space to bend to accommodate our flight back to Phoenix.  Kathy eventually stuffs something down Lexi's throat (I am sure it was legal) and she eventually calms down.  Jacob continually updates us on the time and miles to the airport.  35.  32.  15.  We are almost there.  I have to return the rental car, but in SLC the rental car place is at the airport, which is nice.  We get to the rental car place and I send the other three on their way.  I think we have time, but let's not risk all of us missing the flight.  If I have to stay behind, that is fine.  I'm nice that way.  Sacrifice for the good of the group sort of thing.  All big brothers are supposed to do that.  Of course, there is a huge line at the rental place.  I wait patiently trying not to get frustrated.  Others in line are doing that for me.  Eventually I get there and they charge me nearly double of what they said they would.  I question this but realize I don't have time to argue with them.  I'd rather lose $50 and make my flight, so I ask for a manager's number to call and rush to the airport.  I get a call.  All is good.  We have time.  There is no line for security and we even have time to buy something to eat (well, Jacob takes this time to use the bathroom AGAIN).  I get some green machine drink and Kathy and I arrive just as they ask families with babies to board.  We made it.

2 comments:

KarenM said...

very interesting. so glad you made it. Still don't understand why Jake didn't notice you were going the wrong way. I'd like to hear his story. Heard Kathys, she also trusted you guys. :)

lovebug said...

Still can't believe that happened... Wouldn't change a thing though. Thanks for all your help with Lex. I must say, she sure does love you =) And for the record, the substances in which I gave her, were in fact legal.