Daisy didn't always live with us. I brought Daisy home from the airport after my Mom felt she would be happier with our family, which included small children and less travel time away. Also, my wife had fallen in love with Daisy during a summer visit.
I believe she was just over eleven years old. Daisy stayed with us almost five years of that eleven. She was a very obedient dog and let all four of our children humiliate, torment, wrestle and even ride her without the slightest hint of aggression. If dog is man's best friend, Daisy was anything's best friend that would give her attention.
Daisy's greatest weakness was also my favorite strength. Daisy loved food, almost everything. Considering four children it is amazing how clean our floors have been through the years. Unfortunately, Daisy was very good and begging kids to donate large portions of their plates before they were finished. And if Speed had forgotten to feed Daisy in the morning, this sometimes led to the bravado of a drive by snatch of a full sandwich, hot dog or better. I always found this humorous, but Cari would force me to drag Daisy in the garage as a punishment for her crimes. This was silly though, because both Daisy and I knew that no punishment was too great for even the attempt at a freshly grilled Nathan's hot dog.
Daisy shed... a lot. This dog, especially the last couple years would leave clefts of hair behind. We probably could have started a gross textile industry from her alone. We have went through 3 industrial vacuums to prove it.
Water and Daisy do not mix. It won't be heaven for Daisy unless she is assured no baths. I was always worried the neighbors would call the cops when I gave Daisy a bath. Man she would holler. You have never heard anything like it. I'm serious.
I will miss my second beagle. I will miss waking up with a nightmare unsure of reality only to be comforted by Daisy's calm demeanor indicating there is nothing amiss in the house. Daisy took her role of guard dog very seriously and even desperately tried to get up and howl when the neighbor came by a few hours before passing.
The children got to say goodbye to Daisy. I was on my mission when Bugle (my first beagle) died. I had always lacked closure from her death and me being away. It was comforting to hold Daisy tonight as she left this world.
Cari
I'm gonna miss that smelly old girl. You'd think I wouldn't be so sad about the passing of a creature that could get me so annoyed but (what do you know) Jacob was right about how hard Daisy's passing would be for me.
Having her in our home the last (almost) five years has brought me lots of happiness, funny moments, and annoyance. I certainly didn't know what I was getting into when we got her - the shedding, the howling, the food stealing, the smell. And I know that I only got a taste of having a dog since she was mature and so well trained when she came to us. I was also unaware of the comfort of having another presence around, even if she didn't say much.
Daisy was the best dog I could have imagined for our young kids. She was always so gentle and patient with them. Except for maybe when she had a ham bone, but hey - it was a ham bone. I was really glad that the kids got to say good-bye to her tonight before they went to bed. I'm also glad for the time I got to spend sitting with her and petting her the last couple of days when we realized her time was short.
I'm sure it will take some time before I stop checking the house to make sure she's here when the front door gets left open and checking for her tail before I move my office chair. Daisy, I'll miss you.
1 comment:
For future record keeping....
I will never forget when we first got Daisy. It was one of the biggest surprises of my childhood life. You see, Dad didn't particularly like our first beagle, Bugle, and so when Mom was given another puppy for her 50th birthday, it was quite the shock.
But I was thrilled. She really was the cutest puppy ever and we all just loved her so much.
Though some of my fondest memories are when I was older. When Jimmy was deployed and I was back in New York, and mom and dad would be out of the house, I remember letting Daisy come up onto my bed so many times to just lay and cuddle with me (this had never happened before). She was a huge comfort to me at that time and I will never forget that. She was such a great dog. We'll miss you Dais.
Post a Comment