Monday, October 31, 2016

Fall 2016

Technically fall is still in full effect, but as it is Halloween it feels like the end of fall to me. It has been a warm fall here in Phoenix with most of October still in the 90s. But it has been nice at night, so someone like me can't complain. I know soon will come the days of cold (to me) and then I'll be longing for summer once more.

We had our annual fall break trip to Mexico this year in October. This year we had Jacob and Millie and their kids as well as Tevia's parents and Jhade. We did things a little different this year as we normally rent a house in las Conchas, but this year since we couldn't find a house we liked we tried a resort called Las Palmas. We had a penthouse suite (top floor) and it had a few amenities we aren't used to like a pool, a waterslide, a bar, a small gym, etc. We had a great time, but I think most of us agreed the house is more fun. So next year we already have the house we rented last year (2015) reserved. We did our typical things and went to our typical food-places. It continually gets busier each year, which is good but also lame as we liked having it small and less crowded. As people feel safer down there, more people go. One highlight for me was one afternoon Jacob Webb and I walked about a mile down the beach to the pier where they are building the place for the cruiselines. It is a huge pier of basically large concrete blocks and pillars thrown in on top of each other. We brought our snorkel gear and went along the pier. It was amazing. There were so many fish. At some points we were completely surrounded by fish. A large school of needle fish continually circled us for most of the swim. Another part we ran into a bait ball of millions of fish probably 20 - 30 feet in diameter. It was very cool. But I didn't bring my GoPro, so no footage of that unfortunately. It was relaxing and fun, as usual.

Another highlight of the last couple of months was that I signed up for some flyboard lessons after having seen it at Lake Powell. I have been so busy I was never able to find time to do it, but fortunately with the warmer weather I was able to go this weekend at Lake Pleasant. It was so much fun and so much work. I was sore all afternoon afterwards. But it was worth it. I loved it. I just love being in the water.

In mid-October we did a fishing trip up to Lake Powell with Jacob Wall (my brother), Jacob Webb, Jimmy Cox, and myself. It was a lot of fun. We stayed on the houseboat but decided to leave it on the buoy instead of taking it out. I think it was totally worth it. We also didn't use the bathrooms at all so we wouldn't have to do the sewage stuff (also worth it). The company was great and we did have some success fishing. We mostly caught Stripers - and a few were big enough to fillet and eat (or freeze). It was great to get away for a couple of days. We also got to go down Antelope Canyon, which I had never done before. It was gorgeous. Lake Powell is so beautiful. The Lake was mostly empty and most days was glass (no waves). Jacob Wall had recently bought a boat, so we had brought that up to do the fishing from.


On Saturday night we were invited to a Halloween/Costume party. We don't get invited to many things, so I was excited. Our original costume ideas (we were going to go as characters from Stranger Things) didn't work out. In the end I dressed as Blurry Face (from Twenty One Pilots) - which nobody even knew. The one part of the party that was amazing was the magician they had hired. We didn't know they had hired one, but at one point a guy approached us and started doing tricks. He was amazing. For my trick he had me take a book he had and open it to any page and pick any word on the page. Then I was supposed to think about it so he could guess. He then wrote down the word and handed me the paper to eventually open up and show everyone. I opened it and it was the correct word (firecracker). He did a similar trick with Tevia. It was so fun.

Tevia also was just called as the Young Women's President. So we have two members of the Ward Council in our immediate family - and three if we extend to Cari. Crazy. I also had lunch with one of my mission buddies who was just called as Stake President. He is so overwhelmed; but man it was fun to see him again. We had a great time.

Beyond that things continue to go well with our boys. Jarek is working on applying for colleges. Malik is thriving in high school. And Enok continues to grow up. I am a lucky man - and blessed.

No comments: