Does it seem like a long time since I posted something? Well, it should. This week was a hectic week as it was our company's annual team forum, and so I had meetings from 8 AM to 9 PM at night most days. I actually skipped dinner on Wednesday and Thursday, but even with those little bits of time, I had little time to go online and even less time to dedicate to my real job and my family. Weeks like this make me happy that I am not an executive - yet. Meeting after meeting takes a lot out of you, and in the end takes away from your family. Sure, dinners can be glamorous, fun, and calorie-fests, but in the end you will just end up fat and single. I am grateful my family puts up with this once every few months. They are great.
On Friday I was asked by one of our top salesmen to go to Pittsburgh for a presentation to Heinz - yes, the ketchup company. So I think I'll be flying out on Tuesday and come back on Thursday. This is not the ideal time to go to Pittsburgh, but then, is there ever?
We had another double-header for our ward basketball team. I can't remember if I have written much about our team, but it has opened my eyes to how important teamwork is and how much I can't stand losing. I believe of our 10 or so games we have won 2. This week we managed to lose both games to teams that in all honesty were not better than us. Our team meshes about as well as milk and orange juice (but not nearly as nice as Orange Julius!). Tevia actually came to watch and upon leaving commented that our team "really sucks." For me, it has become like half court basketball. In half court basketball, I have difficulty being "motivated," since there is not a lot of movement and, for me, turns into a 3 point shooting match. My drive and competetiveness weakens and I am not into it. The same happens in these games. When I see my team not competing, or even trying, it makes me not try as hard. I'll play defense and pass, but I shoot less and when I shoot I am short as I am not jumping. I feel bad because this team needs my scoring. But it is hard. This week I scored 13 in the first half, but we were down by 20 at halftime. Some of our players have no idea how to play defense, and a few don't even make it down the court to defend. And this is a team with 14 players! Each week it is the same. Kipp, my good friend, and I question if we should go. We love basketball, so in the end we go. We play and get frustrated. We lose and come home ticked off. We decide not to go back, since after all we have 14 players. But in the end we go back. I guess I feel like one of those women who keeps going back to that scumbag, because in the end, she still loves him. I guess I have developed more simpathy.
We rented the movie "Shall We Dance" this week. It has Richard Gere, Susan Sarandon and Jennifer Lopez. I really do not like Mr. Gere, but anything with J-Lo is tempting. In the end I really enjoyed this movie. The underlying story and theme was so touching and deep - and moral! So different than most movies that Hollywoood puts out. It was very honest and true. Plus J-Lo is in it. :-)
Yesterday was Malik's birthday. He opened presents and we had Dairy Queen cake. It is hard to believe he is 3. Tomorrow is Tevia's birthday. I sometimes feel bad as we are not really into birthdays. We don't really have parties and the presents are never amazing. I wonder if we need to be more into it, or if this is the better way to avoid all of the commercialism and worldly nature of it. We just all keep getting older - and sometimes it's best to quietly acknowledge and move on.
3 comments:
Birthdays are fun, but they don't have to be expensive. I don't want to set such a high standard that my kids will alway expect that standard, and then expect me to exceed that standard. I am all for moderation and just being grateful for what we have. As for my birthday, like bret said, we just keep getting older. But I am grateful that I get to be alive and enjoy all that I do have.
As for me, MY children are going to be just like Dudley on Harry Potter! I want to have their birthday parties and presents be bigger and better every year!!!
YEAH RIGHT!!!
But there is a happy medium I'd like to find for my future fam, somewhere between Jehova Whitness Birthdays (which is about what I had as a child) and Dudley Birthdays....
As for Bret's B-ball team... SO VERY SORRY... I wish I were there to give you another player who cared about the game!
ok, we will try shall we dance, but I just saw R. Geer's face yesterday on Pretty Woman and I had to cringe.... hee hee. I think birthdays should be celebrated differently every year, sometimes big, sometimes small. but definitely, any of us who make it another year should celebrate in some way. it is a great journey, and should be happy. little surprises and big parties both make people happy, and add joy to our lives. I would love to have seen Malik and his cake, just having a cake is special enough. it is a simple tradition. I am into gift giving, cause I can be at this stage of my life. when is Jacob Webb's birthday? hee hee .
Post a Comment