So today I arrived at my apartment after spending the weekend in Centerville with my roommates to find yet another one of "those girls." You know the type... I started to date her last semester and things seemed to have been going well... however, she pulled the "I don't think we should date anymore because I'm going to go on a mission... I don't want to date or get involved with anyone." Well... that's all fine and good. I'll support anyone who wants to serve. HOWEVER, when that same little doe is later seen parading around with some buck attached to her hand, I can't help but think there is something grossly wrong with me. Here's what really adds lemon juice to my paper cut...
I have the nick name "Stewie." The reason for the name... I'm a pretty domestic guy. I cook. I clean. I'm a complete gentleman... heck, that's a triple threat. I open doors, give awesome foot rubs, and am always willing to lend a helping hand and give whatever I can to ANYONE who needs it. I date quite frequently, almost every night when possible, I'm out there, I'm making myself available, and from what I hear, I'm not a completely ugly dog. So what is wrong with me then?
Is every girl I want to take out, or date, really THAT unavailable??? I've heard just about every one... "I'm going on a mission" "I just want to be friends" "you're really nice I don't want to hurt you, so we shouldn't date" "it's not you it's me" (I invented the "it's not you it's me, if it's anyone it's me!!) "I need to focus on my grades" "I'm busy" "I want to look around still" and the list goes on and on....
I have to admit, I think it's fine when someone doesn't want to get married. I'm not necessarily looking for that at the immediate present anyway. And as for those that say they feel they need to figure things out for themselves still... that's great too.... HOWEVER, when these same girls are weeks, sometimes days, later seen quite serious with some other shmuck.... next thing you know, they're married.
I should be used to such things by now. And I know I don't really have a lot of reason to complain, after all, I am only 24 (25 next month) and I know in the real world (anywhere outside of Provo) that's REALLY young.... but still...
So am I way off base here?? Maybe I'm doing something fatally wrong in relationships...
I'm open to whatever you have to say... the truth will be better than the crap I've been fed for the past 24 years.
2 comments:
Alright! I am away from the blog for a while and that finally prompts some DISH! Here's my take - and I'm full of advice, but have little support for my views except for the fact that they make sense to me at the moment. So while I listen to Weazer sing about his HASHPIPE, I'll give my two cents. This is somewhat tongue-in-cheak, but so be it. I married a young girl who was easy to sway - I mean she was barely out of high school. I was too, in all reality, since for the two years before I had not dated, nor even thought about, girls. Hence I found a girl who wanted nothing more than a semi-cute guy. She cared little that I was immature, dumb, childish, etc. You, my friend, have passed that point, so girls expect more from you. And since you are such a good guy, they doubt you are for real. Girls are often intimidated by that perfect guy, and too often fall for those guys on the verge of Jack. I do not suggest you go that route, but you will have to be patient. There is a great girl out there - but they are getting harder and harder to find. If you find one that has been dishonest, be grateful you found out before getting married. My experience is you will find the girl of your dreams when you least expect her. Enjoy your time as a bachelor and study and get your life ready to support your future family. Eventually that is what the girls will want. A man with money!
I will add my two cents to bret's, since that is all I really ever have to my name because bret brings home the bacon and I don't! :)
Girls can be just as lame and sucky as guys. As you know, I dated plenty of guys up at BYU, most of whom were RM's, and I was soooooo dissappointed with about 98% of them because they professed to be so "righteous" because they served missions, but in reality they were still very selfish, dishonest, unrighteous and very judgemental about girls that weren't perfect 10's. I was so annoyed with them after awhile that I swore them off, like many of the girls you are talking about. As it seems, not too long after the swearing off in comes bret, sweeping me off my feet. Life has a way of doing that to you. Just make sure that you are still doing all the things that you are supposed to be doing, and the girl that is looking for the most important things, will find you after they have become disenchanted with all the other "shmucks". I love you very much and know that the Lord has a plan in store for you, be patient.
About bret getting me because I was so young, ain't true. Like I said, I knew what was out there and I thought he was the very best out of everyone. And he wasn't just semi-cute, he was DANG HOT!!!!!!!! So there. I am OUTIE (if that is how you spell that)
Post a Comment