Thursday, May 05, 2005

The Dark Side Shrouds Everything

This week has been a week of sithspawn! It is funny how some weeks, like Tevia noted some days, just seem to go bad. Work has been crazy this week with so many typical big corporation bureaucratic mishaps, unaccountable employees and mishaps. Luckily for me, I am an optimist and can get through the days without too much strife - and then come home to a wonderful family that can make me forget the woes of the day. This week for the third month in a row our accounting group messed up the invoice to one of my clients. The third month in a row! The client called me fuming because so many of the mistakes were the same as the last two months. He knows the errors are not my fault, but I am the one who gets the calls and hears the complaints. I am the one who has to elevate the issue to senior management only to have the issue thrown about as no one wants to take responsibility. So what is the solution? I will audit all invoices from now on. No, I am not an accountant, I do not work in billing, I do not get paid for it, but if I want the client to be satisfied the only person that can do it is me. And this is just a small example. Now, I know this attitude is one of the reasons I have been very successful in my career, but sometimes you just get tired of taking everything on. My job responsibilities become blurred and it gets more difficult to focus on things that are truly important.

I still like my job, and I understand that these things go on everywhere, but it is good to vent from time to time. When you deal with things like this and then have to deal with two employees who start an email war telling the other one how much they don't like them and makes one of them cry, you just start to wonder. I think I was able to handle that one pretty well, though, as the one guy agreed he was in the wrong and apologized today. He came to me afterwards and said it must be tough to be a manager and have to deal with such dumb things. I agreed. But I know none of us are perfect and some days some people just really tick us off. Even me, believe it or not. There is this one guy that we play basketball with and for some reason he just bugs me. He is rude, cocky, annoying...just like most of us. I don't know what it is that just puts him in a league of his own. I told this to Kipp, and he agreed. For some reason this guy just bugs. Maybe he has a really bad spirit or something. So I try to be nice to him - but it is hard. (Not that I am mean to him, I'm not really that type of person).

Two weeks until Episode III. I am reading the book Labyrinth of Evil, which is the novel that leads up to the start of the movie - a PREQUEL to the prequel you could say. It is getting me psyched, like I wasn't already. I've heard from some good sources that this movie will make you cry. So be prepared.

2 comments:

Webb said...

This black screen with white font is tripping my eyes out!!! From the sounds of it, my "bad week" is coming. I'm trying to prepare... I know the weather here has been pretty crappy... but I guess that's really in the eye of the beholder. If you're from Utard, I guess all this wet stuff is good... frankly, I'd prefer to see the sun!!
I went and saw Hitch Hiker's Guide the other day... I really liked it... none of my friends understood it, and I had the theme song (that the dolphins sing) stuck in my head for a day after.... which wasn't that bad, since it's a cool song, "so long and thanks for all the fish!!!" :)
I'm totally stoked about Star Wars III... but still haven't bought tickets... I too have hear the end will make you cry, I'm ready.

Hey Bret, how bout that move by Miller in the game last night?... he had like 9 seconds and threw up a nasty air ball from like 50 feet out sending them to OT... oh well... hopefully they'll take care of them in Boston.

Carolyn said...

It's great to know that we're all on the same page. :) We just saw Hitchhiker's Guide last night. We both really liked it, though I haven't read the book yet. I think the song was my favorite part. Or maybe when Arthur started groveling to that one freaky guy. It's a toss-up.