Tuesday, May 10, 2005

construction, what I know...

So, I worked in a construction company for four years and learned a few things about the way a schedule is set up. And here is how it goes, the person who calls and complains the most and the loudest gets service first. Now, generally I am not the type of person who is a big wave maker. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt and think that they are all nice and good and fair. So we have had our pool under construction since the middle of April and now we are in the second week of May and we are still waiting on this company to get a move on finishing up. The last thing they have to do is come out and start the pump and put in chemicals. The pool was finished being plastered on Saturday, and they said they would be out the next day (yeah right) to get everything going. Now mind you, they had already taken the last installment of our money, so in my mind I am expecting things to get done. Well, it is Tuesday and I have already called two times since yesterday morning with them reassuring me that someone will call me this afternoon. Well, as you can imagine, no call, so I call again, and this time I am quite irritated. The girl gets back on the phone after "checking" what the schedule is, and tells me that I am two more days out. I was mad. I interrupted her and said no way. I told her that I had paid in full and that I didn't want to be kept getting put off and put off because they had my money and didn't think it a priority to finish out the job until they felt like it. So I explained that I wanted them out here and that if they couldn't get someone out here, I wanted my service fee back for the part of the job they promised me would be done in a certain time frame and wasn't. Well she said "Hold on Mrs. Wall". So I did, and she came back and said I must be "lucky" because someone would be out today before five.
Moral of the story: Sometimes you really have to be the squeaky wheel to get things done, even if it isn't exactly your normal way of doing things.
I knew this from working construction, but didn't think that I would ever be the annoying woman on the other end that you just wanted to go away!!!!!
That is all.

1 comment:

Webb said...

See Tevs?... we are different in a couple of ways... I LOVE being the squeaky wheel!! After working collections I got real good at telling people exactly "how it is, and how it's going to be and there ain't no two ways about it!!" Of course, during the same time I was also doing customer service, so I learned how to pee on your leg and convince you it's raining. I feel both temperments are very useful in life... becuase when it comes down to it, the squeaky wheel does get the oil, and the brown noser gets the promotion... and no matter how disgusting or unfortunate that fact is, if you learn to work it, it can work for you!
ps. Glad you got the pool done... can't wait to go swimming in July when I get there!!