Thursday, June 02, 2005

Grand Rapids and a free Koran

Tuesday I left work at noon to head to the Phoenix airport. I boarded a "Ted" plane and endured the long trip via Chicago to Grand Rapids, Michigan. I used to think that business trips were fun, but most are certainly not. I arrived at the hotel in GR around 11 PM. It took me a good few hours to fall asleep as I watched cable - something I don't really have. They had an odd show about real life bounty hunters. It was certainly interesting. I finally fell asleep around 3 AM and was woken up by the wake up call at 6. I got up, showered, shaved, put on my suit and headed down to the breakfast where I met up with the account executive. I was in GR, by the way, to visit one of our clients - Steelcase. Steelcase is the company that probably made the office furniture you might enjoy at your place of work. The office was beautiful with a nice waterfall inside.

The meeting went well as I discuss international compensation and expense management along with my colleague Cindy Yakowicz. By 4:30 it was time to leave and I went back to the airport. My flight out wasn't until 7 or so, so I tried to get another flight out earlier. Believe it or not, I was successful due to the wonderful customer service of a guy at the Northwest Airlines counter. I flew back (without a movie!) and got back here around 9:30 PM. That is a LOT of flying time in a 36 hour period. Even worse I don't get any mileage for it since the airlines I try to fly (America West and American) don't fly to Grand Rapids. I must admit that Grand Rapids was quite beautiful. It even reminded me of NY with all of the green, trees, and big yards.

I got back in the office this morning and had received 200 emails in the day I was out! I was on a two hour conference call in which I was able to read the news while I listened to inane chatter and found that there is a Muslim group giving away free Korans (Qu'rans). I ordered one - and it really seemed to lift my spirits. It comes at a time while I am reading Orson Scott Card's (OSC) new book Shadow of the Giant. Islam is discussed at length in this outstanding read, so I was excited to order this book.

On a slightly different note, we rented In Good Company last week, about a young man who is on the fast track at work and ends up managing people the age of his parents. In the end, he realizes that though he is successful he really wants what some of his employees have: a family and a reason to live. I enjoyed the film (though it wasn't awesome), but it really made me feel grateful, for I truly believe I have both of these things. I have a wonderful career and reputation at Prudential - yet I have not had to sacrifice a wonderful family in order to achieve it. Thus is the beauty of the gospel, and I am grateful for all that I have. Even when Tevia threatens to abandon Jarek and I for Memorial Day I know that I have more than most men. I'm sorry Tevs - I guess it is hard for women to understand the friendships between men. True friends, in my eyes, are people who never have to ask to come over - and are always welcome in my home. It has been years since I have had a friend like that. There is no reason to have to "clean up" or "prepare." They become like family.

3 comments:

teviawall said...

I guess with Kip it must kind of be like family since Jarek seems to think Kip is just another name for Nephi!!!!

Long story short for those of you (which is everyone but Bret) Jarek thought Kip was my brother Nephi and that we just called him Kip. How funny is that?

Webb said...

i can see that... Kip kinda looks like Nephi... yeah, he kinda does... except, he has a much better looking ex-wife (Kip does).

teviawall said...

I don't think Kip looks anything like Nephi. But that is my opinion. That would be like saying Kermit the frog looks like gonzo. Okay, that doesn't make any sense either. Oh well. And they don't ACT anything alike. That is for dang sure!!!!