I have just decided I am too nice to everyone. and it seems to be a fault when I thought it was a good thing, so I guess you got it from me. oops, so sorry.
Well mom, and tevs, I figure I'll just post to this since it's somewhat of a continuation of bret's blog...
First of all... I too can relate to being accustom to receiving positive feedback, and I usually take constructive feedback poorly. I tend to forget that I can be doing a much better job at my work because I put so much time into streamlining everything to the point that my duties seem less like work and more like sitting in an office for 6 hours a day and looking for excuses to "run errands" just to get out for a breather.
I know it's not necessarily a "bad" thing to comfortable in life, but I feel I've become complacent to the point that I'm not really progressing anymore... at work or in life in general.
Anyway... I'm not sure where I'm going with this, and I don't want to make this a praise bret blog, but I know he is a great leader and I'd definitely like to have the opportunity to work for him as well. And although he has done so much on his own and is quite independent, I know we are all products of not only ourselves, but also those around us, those whom we let influence our lives. "It takes a village to raise a child"... right?
Anyway... Mom, were you talking to me about a picture in the last blog?... if so, which one?
Well mom, and tevs, I figure I'll just post to this since it's somewhat of a continuation of bret's blog...
First of all... I too can relate to being accustom to receiving positive feedback, and I usually take constructive feedback poorly. I tend to forget that I can be doing a much better job at my work because I put so much time into streamlining everything to the point that my duties seem less like work and more like sitting in an office for 6 hours a day and looking for excuses to "run errands" just to get out for a breather.
I know it's not necessarily a "bad" thing to comfortable in life, but I feel I've become complacent to the point that I'm not really progressing anymore... at work or in life in general.
Anyway... I'm not sure where I'm going with this, and I don't want to make this a praise bret blog, but I know he is a great leader and I'd definitely like to have the opportunity to work for him as well. And although he has done so much on his own and is quite independent, I know we are all products of not only ourselves, but also those around us, those whom we let influence our lives. "It takes a village to raise a child"... right?
Anyway... Mom, were you talking to me about a picture in the last blog?... if so, which one?
Yes, you are too nice, but I don't mind it at all when you are too nice to me. :) But it is only a fault when you let others either take advantage of you, or when you, in your niceness hold others back from learning lessons they need to learn. If that makes sense. And you generally only let the first one happen, meaning people take advantage of your niceness because they know you will go above and beyond what the majority of people will do. We have talked about this before, and we have the same "niceness" flaw at times, but you are WAY nicer than I could ever hope to be, because like Bret, you also have the positive outlook on life going for you too. I am just nice because I, like Cari, can't stand the thought of others not liking me or thinking I am mean or lame or any of those things. But about 97% of the time I am genuinely nice and mean it!
I agree that we can often hold people back from progressing by not giving them the feedback they need or allowing them to experience or learn something. However, I'm not sure it is possible to really be "too nice." In the end it is semantics, because someone who isn't helping others because they think they are being nice, really aren't being nice. In the end, I guess we should focus less on being nice, and try more to be more "good." To be good is to be like God. That is our goal. I doubt we can be too good.
In terms of flaws, if too nice is a flaw, it is a huge flaw of mine. It is also a flaw of mom, Tevs, Jacob, Jake, and maybe even Cari.
5 comments:
Well mom, and tevs, I figure I'll just post to this since it's somewhat of a continuation of bret's blog...
First of all... I too can relate to being accustom to receiving positive feedback, and I usually take constructive feedback poorly. I tend to forget that I can be doing a much better job at my work because I put so much time into streamlining everything to the point that my duties seem less like work and more like sitting in an office for 6 hours a day and looking for excuses to "run errands" just to get out for a breather.
I know it's not necessarily a "bad" thing to comfortable in life, but I feel I've become complacent to the point that I'm not really progressing anymore... at work or in life in general.
Anyway... I'm not sure where I'm going with this, and I don't want to make this a praise bret blog, but I know he is a great leader and I'd definitely like to have the opportunity to work for him as well. And although he has done so much on his own and is quite independent, I know we are all products of not only ourselves, but also those around us, those whom we let influence our lives. "It takes a village to raise a child"... right?
Anyway... Mom, were you talking to me about a picture in the last blog?... if so, which one?
Well mom, and tevs, I figure I'll just post to this since it's somewhat of a continuation of bret's blog...
First of all... I too can relate to being accustom to receiving positive feedback, and I usually take constructive feedback poorly. I tend to forget that I can be doing a much better job at my work because I put so much time into streamlining everything to the point that my duties seem less like work and more like sitting in an office for 6 hours a day and looking for excuses to "run errands" just to get out for a breather.
I know it's not necessarily a "bad" thing to comfortable in life, but I feel I've become complacent to the point that I'm not really progressing anymore... at work or in life in general.
Anyway... I'm not sure where I'm going with this, and I don't want to make this a praise bret blog, but I know he is a great leader and I'd definitely like to have the opportunity to work for him as well. And although he has done so much on his own and is quite independent, I know we are all products of not only ourselves, but also those around us, those whom we let influence our lives. "It takes a village to raise a child"... right?
Anyway... Mom, were you talking to me about a picture in the last blog?... if so, which one?
Yes, you are too nice, but I don't mind it at all when you are too nice to me. :) But it is only a fault when you let others either take advantage of you, or when you, in your niceness hold others back from learning lessons they need to learn. If that makes sense. And you generally only let the first one happen, meaning people take advantage of your niceness because they know you will go above and beyond what the majority of people will do.
We have talked about this before, and we have the same "niceness" flaw at times, but you are WAY nicer than I could ever hope to be, because like Bret, you also have the positive outlook on life going for you too. I am just nice because I, like Cari, can't stand the thought of others not liking me or thinking I am mean or lame or any of those things. But about 97% of the time I am genuinely nice and mean it!
I agree that we can often hold people back from progressing by not giving them the feedback they need or allowing them to experience or learn something. However, I'm not sure it is possible to really be "too nice." In the end it is semantics, because someone who isn't helping others because they think they are being nice, really aren't being nice. In the end, I guess we should focus less on being nice, and try more to be more "good." To be good is to be like God. That is our goal. I doubt we can be too good.
In terms of flaws, if too nice is a flaw, it is a huge flaw of mine. It is also a flaw of mom, Tevs, Jacob, Jake, and maybe even Cari.
I just hope that nice guys don't ALWAYS finish last. :)
Post a Comment