Thursday, August 04, 2005

apology to Jacob Webb

I was thinking in bed last night where I do my best thinking and was worried that all that 'family talk' on vacations may have bugged you. I remembered that you don't exactly have thrills being around your other family right now. that happens. we are just so wonderful and great..... woops, better try again, we are lucky, and even though we all have faults and stuff, we really are lucky that being together is still fun. maybe it wouldn't be if we saw each other all the time. after all, we go to Cleveland for our vacations twice or more a year, and our kids wouldn't call that fun, but I just find it that important to me too see my family, even with all their weirdness. and we certainly included you in all I meant when I said the word 'family'. hope this makes sense.
seperating from home can be a long or short experience, but it is always going to happen. you have done a good job at becoming independent. I admire your sense of adventure and freedom. I had it. I left home at 18, moved far away, and never got another dime except for Christmas and birthdays, even when I really needed it. I learned a lot, and I am glad I did what I did. ok, that reminds me of a movie quote, " Let's be independent together." dad will get it. better go before I bore you all to death.

1 comment:

Webb said...

It's from Rudolf The Red Nose Reindeer!!! Great flick!

K, I appreciate the appology, but I really don't think it was necessary. Not once have I ever felt like I wasn't part of the "family", whether in conversation, activities, or reference to. I really did have SO much fun!!

Also, I appologize if Tevia or I come off with the attitude that we might not love our own family sometimes. I really do love them all. It is just hard to visit the place I was raised and where I grew up. Most of the negative connections with them are my own fault and someday I may grow up enough to not let any of it bother me. The other part of it all is that it's not "home". My parents (mother more specifically) don't understand that. Home, to me, is wherever I happen to be living at the time. I make my dweling my home... I feel I just have to. Of course, that doesn't fully explain why I can call the Hutchinson's house my "home" or Bret n Tev's "home"... hey, it even felt like "home" in Poughkeepsie after the first or second day there.

I just can't call the place I grew up "home" and I think that creates tension with my mother, which in turn makes it an uncomfortable and unwelcome visit or phone conversation.

gotta go.