Thursday, August 04, 2005

Atlas Shrugged?

Wow Cari, you have got to be kidding! that makes me somehow impressed. I found it a tough read, and never really could get into it. I must not like long books. maybe that is why I gave up so early on this Harry Potter stuff. I have a very short attention span in books and movies. it has to be new and different.

2 comments:

teviawall said...

I haven't read Atlas Shrugged, but it is one of my sister's favorite books too. I did read The Fountainhead and enjoyed it quite a lot. I, too, love reading very long books as it makes me feel accomplished, and I love having the story go on for so long. It gives me the opportunity to get lost in another time and place for a bit! I'll have to give this Ayn Rand book a try. (is that how you spell her name? I forgot).

Carolyn said...

Yup, that's how you spell it. The tricky part is, how do you say it? :) And if you liked the Fountainhead, you'll like Atlas Shrugged (and probably Anthem too. I haven't made it to We the Living). It's basically a refined version of Ayn's philosophies and ideas about the problems in the world. And it gets even more interesting when you put in the context of Communism and how she hated it so much. Incidentally, I tried that with the Wizard of Oz one day. Totally didn't get it.
The main reason that I ever picked up Atlas Shrugged was because my dad read it. And he NEVER reads fiction if he can avoid it, but he really liked it, so I was intrigued. I don't agree with all of the author's philosophies, but I like to see how other people (especially those with different religions) justify the world and it's common complacency.