Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Harry Potter

At last I have finished. I first need to apologize to Karen for all the reading that I did when I was not supposed to be reading. Sorry. Maybe by the time book seven comes out I will be more mature. Anyway, I was good enough to let Tommy read it first!

I have thouroughly enjoyed all the Potter books so far, but I am sorry to say that this was not my favorite. In fact, inspite of how much I loved it, I think I still liked it the least. I did not feel that very much of a new flavor was introduced to the overall nature of the story. It was more a repeat and then a hold for the end. Now you will say that the part about the Horcrux's is very new, you know ripping your soul appart and killing someone. Very nice, but I did not like that consept all that well. I thought it had some serious technical flaws. What I did enjoy, since you are all obviously getting ready to make complaining comments, was Rowling's improving ability to tell a story with all the literary techniques availible used to perfection. I think she has changed significantly since the first book. She is a world class writter. What I also enjoyed, after being starved for it in book V, was the intamate long association with Albus Dumby recorded in the pages. That was great. He has always been my favorite character outside of Harry. I am a sucker for a character that has great power and ability beyond others especially when this ability is hidden or when the charater is humble. Given that, I was not at all happy about the ending. Albus seems to truely be gone. I expect that he will address us again from his frame in the Chief Mistress's office, but the greatest wizard of all time was easily removed with a simple straight forward curse from that wuss Snape. What's up with that? So now it seems to be clear that Snape is indeed evil and he was able to conceal this fact from the greatest wizard in the world. A wizard that knew him very very well. Well I do not buy it, and neither does Tommy. We are of the opinion that Snape is infact good and that he did kill Albus as part of an overall plan to eventually take out Voltemort. In other words, Albus let him do it. Albus begged him to do it. The plan is now in place. Harry will play his part and Severus will play his and Voltemort will die in book seven. Any other theories?

4 comments:

Webb said...

I'm glad to know that everyone has now finished book 6 so we can all talk about it!! (you know, instead of having secret meetings with just tevs cari and i)... of course, I don't think Jacob Wall has finished it yet... but from the sounds of it, I'm not too sure he's even planing on reading it.

Thanks for your analysis dad. I have to agree with you about Snape. I can't help but hope that it was all part of a plan to get to Voldemort. I was shocked at the events of this book, but can see how it sets Rawlings up to continue her story, and she has definitely hooked all her readers to buy and read book 7. I think it was necessary for Albus to be removed from the picture. If Harry is going to be able to do what he needs to do, he will need to grow up and become independant. Throughout his life he has been given opportunities to learn and grow. Each time he is presented with a new trusted mentor or gaurdian he seems to learn what he needs to help him grow and continue on. However, just as we can be in our lives, he seems to not live up to his full potential of powers and abilities untill he is on his own with no one else to rely on. Each time he has faced Voldemort in the past he was helped by friends to get there until the final moment. (with the exception in book 5 where Voldemort appears in the Minisrty of Magic and Albus comes to his aid). I can see Rawlings keeping this pattern as Ron and Hermione have chosen to accompany him. However, I wouldn't be surprised if they get bumped off in the end as well.

We'll see what happens!

teviawall said...

Well, I think that this is her best book yet. I loved how she gave us insight into Harry's enemy's life, therefore giving him some powerful ammunition. I love that she is brave enough to keep people dead, without any of the cloak and dagger feeling of "maybe they aren't really dead".

I have felt all along that Snape is evil. My sister is having a hard time believing that he really is all bad. She likes to think that they can always be redeemed. I think Snape is a horrible, rotten, disgusting specimine of a person. I hope that he gets blown to smithereens by Voldemort in the last book.

Finally, I think that Dumbledore had to die in order for Harry to defete Voldemort in the end. He will find all the remaining horcruxes and beat Voldemort by telling him how much he loves him and how sorry he is for him that Voldemort had such a disgusting childhood with no parents to foster that love in him. Harry is going to Love him to death! (I don't think that will really happen, but it will have to do something with love as that is voldemorts weakness.)

Okay, that is all. tootles! Sorry for any and all horribly misspelled words in this comment.

Bret said...

Wow, this is a great blog subject. I agree with Tevia - and that may seem strange! - but I believe this is possibly her best book of the series. Mostly due to the fact that it is her best writing and I thoroughly enjoyed some of the teenage romance. Her writing style has significantly improved and her humor (due to familiarity with the characters) was very present. I loved it.

Regarding Snape - I also agree with Tevia. I think you Snape-lovers are crazy. He has been a terrible person from the beginning. Dumbledore passed away due to his weakness of trusting and seeing the good in him (and others). Dumbledore could only be defeated this way. Why would Dumbledore want to die now? He was just beginning down the path of the horcruxes. I can't wait for the next book to see Remus or Harry take Snape out - or maybe even Voldemort. The Half Blood Prince is evil. He commited an unforgivable spell - the worst one! Perhaps you all want him to be semi-redeemed like David of old, but I don't see it happening.

I am excited about the next book, and want to go back and read 4 and 5. I enjoyed this a lot. As I read it, I also couldn't help see many parallels with Star Wars. I don't see it as coicidental that these two universes have captured the world's imagination, as we all deep inside can relate to the battle between good and evil. We each play our parts and have our temptations. And fortunately, like the real universe, good will triumph!

Carolyn said...

Hooray for Harry Potter! For my two cents, I liked this book a lot, but it was not my favorite. I loved the insights into Voldemort's past and all the teenage romances (though I don't remember it being that easy) but I felt that a lot of stuff was left out. Not that I know what was left out, but when I got done, I was wishing that there had been more to read in that book. I suppose it might have been the drop from book 5 which was so nice and long to this one, which was significantly shorter. I might be the minority, but I love long books. One of my favorites (Atlas Shrugged) is over 1000 pages. And as for Snape, I still haven't decided. I can see how he might still be not completely evil. From reading the stuff about the Unbreakable Vow in the beginning, I can see the loophole that would make Snape still on the good side. But overall, he's just a mean and nasty person and you can't act that way for so many years and still be a teddy bear. He's just not nice. I still have no conclusion about his loyalty. I think I need to read the book again before I try to make a call on that. I still think there's something about the relationship between Dumbledore and Snape that we don't know about yet. I feel like there's still too much mystery there. But maybe I'm looking too deeply, who knows?
I do have a question for the group, something that my roommate and I have talked about: what do you think will happen to Harry? Whether or not he actually kills Voldemort, do you think he'll live through it? Do you think he'll be able to live a normal life, marry Ginny (please, please, please!) and all that? Or will he pull a Frodo and go live somewhere alone for the rest of his days? I wanna know what you think!