As those of you who have read this blog know, when I am alone I go for walks. This evening I walked past a new church that is situated in a very unique, and intriguing, area full of palm trees in various twists and turns. The church is called Pure Heart (www.pureheart.org). Since the buildings intrigued me, I thought I would look it up online to see if it gave a history of the architecture. It did not. But while on their site I thought I would see what this church is about. Reading their page made me realize why many other "religions" will never understand the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Our "churches" are based upon completely different paradigms.
The Pure Heart church is a non-denominational congregation. Which in essense means they are not a church, but a "group" of people. Yet they baptize people, and preach, and most probably collect money. If you read the history of their "leaders," many of them were ordained, but it does not say by whom. It would seem they are elected by the "board" which makes all decisions, including what the pastor preaches. The church seems nice enough. They certainly want to be followers of Christ. They have programs for women, men, and young adults (okay, has every religion now copied this Mormon trait?). They also apparently have a sort of race you go through with different laps. The first lap is acceptance of Christ and baptism.
I do not wish to speak ill of this church, but rather use it as evidence that there are profound differences between most churches. I remember reading an article while on my mission of a religious professor who stated there really can only be two religions which are true: Catholicism and Mormonism (forgive the lazy Mormon references). This is because only these churches have been given authority from God (this is an exaggeration, but let's talk about major religions). The Catholics got it from Peter, who received it from Christ. We received it from Peter, James, and John (to Joseph and Oliver). Any other Christian religion was just formed by people who thought they understood the scriptures better. This is a paradigm that is hard to shift once you believe it. It is no wonder that most members I know who have left the church do not go to another church, but rather avoid churches. They can not rid themselves of this belief. Therefore, if Mormonism is not correct - then no church is correct. It seems logical to me, but to the rest of the world we seem awfully cocky and condescending.
1 comment:
The past couple of months, as I endevored to complete the BofM this last year, brought my mind back to these similar thoughts on numerous occasions. I have never doubted my testimony since the day (or days, since I don't know if there was a specific "day") I gained it. With every reading of the BofM that tesimony only grows. This last reading however held one small difference (and I think I've previously mentioned it). I read the entire book of Alma in two days. This gave me a compressed outlook on Alma the Younger's life ministry and teaching as a religious leader and father who had to overcome what each of us must in this life... sin.
The point that stuck out most vividly this reading was in Alma 36:15 where he is talking to his son Heleman recounting his conversion story. In this verse Alma mentions the realization that he could be bannished. As I read it, it hit home to what a bishop of mine had once told me. "There is a certain way members of Christ's church are expected to cunduct themselves. If you don't want to act accordingly, then the bishop has three responsibilities. 1) Protect the Church 2) Protect the innocent and 3) Protect the individual.
There are many out there who fight against this church. It never really occured to me before just how important it is that ALL members (not just missionaries) live up to the standards set by the living prophet in order to protect the name of Christ, His church, and His saints... and just how important it is for those not willing to live up to those standars must be "bannished."
It was that same thought that sent myself into my own personal three days of being racked with the torment of all my sins.
I'm just so greatful we are lead by a prophet today who holds all the keys of the priesthood... the power and authority to act in God's name. Despite the confusion and crumbling world around us, I feel a new found comfort in the safety of the atonement, so come what may.
Post a Comment