Thursday, February 16, 2006

here's a cup of tea for Tevia

A Cup of Tea:

Nellie made a cup of tea,

Made and poured it out for me

And above the steaming brew

Smiled and asked, “One lump or two?”

Saucily she tossed her head;

“Make it sweet for me,” I said.

Two sweet lumps of sugar fell

Into that small china well,

But I knew the while I drained

every drop the cup contained,

more than sugar in the tea

made the beverage sweet for me.

This to her I tried to say

in that golden yesterday –

Life is like a cup of tea

Which time poureth endlessly

Brewed by trial’s constant heat

Needing love to make it sweet.

Then I caught her looking up,

And I held my dainty cup

out to her and bravely said,

“Here is all that lies ahead,

Here is all my life to be –

Will you make it sweet for me?”

Author unknown

( I would have ended it with a statement and not a question –

I will make it sweet for thee. )

3 comments:

Webb said...

Of couse, if this were "My Fair Lady" it would read something more along the lines of "cop a tay"... or something like that.

KarenM said...

Hey Jacob, so you are alive! how sick are you? get better soon!

teviawall said...

That is so sweet. Where do you find such nice poetry? I am feeling tired, but happy that Malik is doing better. I am going to blog more on a separate blog. But thank you for the nice poetry!