Thursday, February 16, 2006

Kite Runner

Like when I read the Good Earth the first time, I did not know the history of the countries in this book. I was surprised at how little I know about Afghanistan. I did not remember why Russia took it over, why the Taliban took it over, and when and why any of it happened. It was eye-opening to me. having known a few people from there, it made more sense to me why they acted like they do. it was a deep book, not exactly a fun read, but I, for some reason, couldn't put it down. Dad stopped reading it after the second chapter. I found it upsetting and yet, I was convinced I had to know more and read on. Parts of it were too predicatable, and parts were a bit boring. I skim read a lot, so I skip parts like that. I read it in a week, and I have to rate it for our book club, even though I can't make it this month. Out of 10, I would give it a 6.5. People like me should read it, for the experience, and for the more depth of the people and the country. It's theme, forgiveness, can be therapuetic (sp) to one who may have past secrets. Not that I do. :)

No comments: