Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Jumping the hurdles

I just got back from a small campus career fair. I talked to two people and left resumes with both of them. And I am so, so incredibly relieved that it is over with.

I found out about the career fair yesterday from my friend Andrew who is always insisting that I need to get a job. I was supposed to go earlier in the day, but I chose to sleep in instead. That's how much I didn't want to go. But I promised my friend I would go, so after class, off I went. I did make him come with me for moral support. I talked to a couple of software development and testing firms, both pretty small, that are here in Utah County.

I know this sounds pretty boring and like a commentary on what did Carolyn do today between the hours of 2:00 pm and 3:00 pm, but....that fact that I did this is a big milestone for me. I'm not really all that excited about getting a "real" job after I graduate. Ok, so it's something that I've been avoiding all of my life. I don't know if it's laziness or fear or conditioning or all that and more, but I've just never, ever wanted to get to this point. I don't really know what I was planning on doing instead (perhaps I should have married an independantly wealthy man...), but I somehow thought I could get away with not going through the looking and hiring process. Obviously, I kinda have to now, but I've been dragging my feet about it big time. Jacob and I have had lots of talks in the last couple of months about how I need to start looking and get my resume out there, but until today, I honestly have done anything about it but talk. Finally, I have two good job leads and at least two copies of my resume in someone's hands. ::pats herself on the back::

In summary, I guess I'm just glad to be over this first hurdle, grateful for my husband encouraging me to start this process, and grateful for my friends for continuing to bug me about doing something to find a job. And I just wanted to share that with the whole group. :-)

5 comments:

Webb said...

Congrats Cari! I'm happy to see you're over the first hurdle!... next stop, ruling the world!!! *evil laugh, ha ha ha ha* Go get em cupcake!!! :)

Bret said...

Great job Cari. It is a daunting task and can be scary, but honestly the working world is just as boring as the rest of life - surrounded by the typical mix of idiots and nice people. So go show 'em that you are worth it. I'd hire you!

Webb said...

OH!!! PLUS you get to have office experiences like on The Office!!! Giddy up! :)

KarenM said...

Cari, I am so proud of you!!!!!!! sorry you have to support my son for awhile. he will make it up to you when he is rich.

teviawall said...

Cari, enjoy the time you get to be part of the workforce. Sometimes I miss it so much. I always loved proving to everyone that I was great at what I did, and generally exceeded expectations. I miss the adult conversation. I miss talking about things that have nothing to do children, children, children!!! Being a mother is really the greatest job, but sometimes you really miss the world in which the majority of the people live.

The first steps to getting out there are the hardest, but you are talented (you must be if Jacob thinks you are smarter than he is), you are cute, and you will do a great job no matter what you end up with. Just enjoy it, have a good attitude and it will go by so much faster than you can imagine.

Good luck and we'll keep you in our prayers to find a good job.