Jacob -
I received the following from a student. I assume you'll want to attend
to it.
"I do not want to complain too much but I am very disappointed in the
TAs this semester. Also, please don't share my name with any of the TAs
regarding this email because I don't want them to hate me and not help
me for the rest of the semester. First of all, I am a quick learner I
think, but these concepts are brand new to me. I have never programmed
but I think that I am picking it up rather fast and, honestly, I quite
enjoy it. I especially enjoy your teaching style. But because of my
newness I still need a little help in the actual application of what I
learn. Jave is a very precise language, as you know, so I sometimes have
syntactical questions. I always try to solve problems on my own before I
go to the TAs, but sometimes I need there help before I can move on.
Today, Thursday, I was in the lab all morning working on Lab 3.
Everytime I would press the button on my screen for TA help, it would
take them 5, 10, and even 15 minutes sometimes to come and help me. Now,
they were not extremely busy helping other students. They just seemed to
be typing away on their own computers doing who knows what. Sometimes,
after waiting for so long, I would speak up and ask them to come help me
and then they would. Well, towards the end of my time in the lab, there
were about 5 TAs in there chatting away making it hard to concentrate. I
must say that I am not well pleased with the head TA Jacob because he
was the loudest and rudest of them all. Not only was he constantly
talking from the moment he entered, but he was referring to us students
as "kids" right in front of us and he was also gossiping about every
weakness and shortcoming of a TA who was fired recently. Well, all of
this made it very difficult to concentrate on my work and it was also
distracting the other TAs from helping me. Well, I could go on about
other things like the weak help session by David on Tuesday, but I won't
waste any more of your time. Natalie and Robbie have been very helpful
to me but they all tend to get distracted by whatever they are working
on and forget to check if anyone needs help. Have a great night and I
will see you at class tomorrow. Thanks for your help and time."
So, work is work! Im just so grateful I get to come home to a loving
wife who really could care less what happened at work and always
reasurers me everything will be alright.
Friday, February 17, 2006
Stress at work...
I decided Bret and Dad might find the negative emails I get every week entertaining. I try not to let them get me down. In reality, I am the best CS142 TA to date and have more job security then Bill Gates. Further my job is temporary and not super important. But I do try, and I feel I have really made a difference. For you pleasure, here is last weeks best email...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Just remember Jacob... Although I use "kids" as a term of indearment towards those I care about (like to you and Cari and other close friends) not all may see it as such. I'm sure you are a good TA... just remember as long as you are "head TA" and in a postition to lead, all your actions (no matter how innocent) are easily blown out of proportion by those who watch you.
I love you, and know you are a TA. Keep up the good work Jacob!
ah Jacob, you always did drive me crazy. talk nice to people, all people, and be a good little TA. Cari, I hope you haven't decided to kick him out yet! :)
Thanks bro - like they say, misery loves company. :-) I'm glad you are feeling better. One thing I have learned is that you can not please everyone. But that shouldn't stop you from trying. For me, I think of being a manager like a mission. If you love the people, you will be more effective. Ask the kids if they want any more wine with their cheese.
Post a Comment