Sunday, April 09, 2006

Thoughts on a Sunday

I'm home from church with Jarek as he is sick. It has been a tough year on the health of the Wall boys. While here I was typing up my missionary journal - a project I have been working on and will actually post as a separate blog for anyone interested in reading here in the next few weeks - adding a new month to my mission each week or so. Today I was typing the part about General Conference during the Fall of 2003. What a great conference it was! I have put some of the highlights that I noted in my journal below:

Pres. Joseph B Wirthlin
- to know God is to think what He thinks, feel what He feels
Joe J Christensen
- anything not good for children is rarely good for adults
Spencer J Condie
- Pride is concerned with who is right – humility is concerned with what is right (Pres Benson)
Boyd K Packer
-
the most devastating effect of the war (WWII) was the damage to the family
-
a child left by himself brings a mother to shame
Ben B Banks
-
The church can not be a substitute for parental caring
-
The best thing to spend on your children is time
Gordon B Hinckley
-
to the critics I say “so what?”
-
the vision: did it happen? I have no doubt of it
-
“it is wisdom to believe the heart”
-
our responsibility is not to please the world!
-
It is not enough to provide food and shelter for your family: be a man!
-
To men who abandon their children: God will hold you responsible, for they are God’s children also!


2 comments:

KarenM said...

good project Bret. Jacob, how is my video project coming along? maybe after school is done? I like going back to look at old conference notes. we try to use some of the old notebooks we use every year, so some of the notebooks have things the kids wrote and drew during conferences. there were some pretty funny pictures and stories. a good suggestion for Tev to do, use a notebook and let Jarek write a sentence or 2 about conference, and draw a picture of something each conference session. each time, use the same notebook. then, he also will enjoy reading his old ones and seeing his progress. jacob, we had some interesting stories and notes and pics from you. cute.

Webb said...

Not a bad idea... I need to go through a bunch of my old written works.