Monday, April 24, 2006

Three's a Charm

As I sat in the waiting room of the office where Tevia was going to have her ultrasound this morning, I felt something I didn't expect: fear. I rarely am scared, so I thought wondering why I would have butterflies. Perhaps it was just excitement to find something out - will it be a boy or a girl? Or perhaps I worried that they would find something wrong in this level 2 ultrasound, as we know this third child will have a higher chance of heart problems and muscle conditions. But it was comforting having my family around as we brought Malik and Jarek to witness the spectacle.

After a rather long wait - can these be avoided any more in doctor's offices? - we all crammed into a pint-sized room and watched as the nurse lotioned up Tevia's abdomen. I had the boys sit on my lap so they could see the monitor as small flashes of skeleton-like images came in and out of shape. It is always fun to see these ultrasounds. My favorite part is seeing the heart beat and watching erratic movements of hands and feet. The nurse indicated that all looked good and asked if we wanted to see the sex.

For some time we have been guessing the sex of this baby. There was good indication that this would be a girl since Tevia was much sicker than ever before. I had been paying attention during the ultrasound and had seen no evidence of a boy during the whole procedure. So I was a little shocked when the nurse brought up an angle that clearly showed something in between the baby's legs. I'm not quite sure what she said - "it's a boy" or something like that. Tevia seems to think she said there is his outdoor plumbing, but I didn't catch it. I was a little surprised. I would have been even more surprised had I not recently felt the baby move a few days ago. Tevia had me feel her stomach and I felt a hard jab. I thought, that was pretty strong for such a young baby. Maybe it is a boy...

As the nurse stated the sex, Malik mentioned that "she is wrong - it is a girl." Malik actually says "girl" like "gwirrell" and it is so cute. I looked at Tevia and asked if she was okay. She said yes - but I saw a small tear rolling down her cheek.

So it would appear we will be parents to a third boy. It seems a little odd that we could have three boys. Maybe I can only make boys. I am excited. I was kind of wanting a boy - mostly because the thought of raising a girl seems scarey. But I would have been fine with a girl. And who knows, maybe the ultrasound was wrong. But not likely. So now it is time to come up with names. I have been pushing for Thrace - and Tevia is very against it. But at one point she was very against Malik as well...

3 comments:

teviawall said...

Well, my small comment is this. Like Kathy so adamantly declared in her one blog, she is very sure she will use the name Lexie. I also am very adamant about this baby NOT being named Thrace. I was willing to let Bret have Malik, because there was an emotional type attachment to the person with that name. So, that is my final word, my foot is down, and I am not budging. I don't mind it as a middle name though.

Tevs, OUT!!!!

KarenM said...

Congrats on another little boy. we need good righteous priesthood leaders in these latter days. we are happy for you both. but please, don't use Thrace. I'm with you on this one, Tevia. I'll try and think of one for you! see you soon!

Webb said...

Yeah... I'm sorry Bret... but NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO and NO on naming your son Thrace!!! PLEASE!!!!

As for raising boys... I agree... I would be terrified of having to raise girls.. of course... IF I ever do have children I'm pretty sure I will be "blessed" with only girls. As Jacbo put it the good thing about raising boys is you only have one penis to worry about... girls on the other hand... uh, yeah.

Anyway... CONGRATS on the new Wall!!