Saturday, June 17, 2006

the curse?

ok, so we had a wonderful party, and I was able to stay happy and calm all day and evening, despite what we figure, the curse someone put on us: the oven didn't seem to be working again, and the brownies with reese cups in them that usually take 15 minutes tops took an hour to make 2 batches, but they came out good. as Kathy vacuumed the stairs, the belt broke, leaving the basement with that lovely smell of burnt rubber, after I just had fabreezed the whole basement. then she went out to vacuum the pool and the triangle head piece broke off the pole, and we noticed it was being held together by green wire, meaning dad had already fixed it. so she had to finish vacuuming the pool with her foot holding down the vacuum head, literally vacuuming by foot! and the water was freezing, I may add. then Tom went to cut the lawn and he came in and said it wasn't picking up well and grass was coming out the back. He and Don wanted the yard to look specially nice for the party. well, I told him just do his best. He came back in soon and said now the lawnmore wouldn't turn at all to one side. great. so he had to leave the lawn half cut, leaving us open to lots of fun jokes as people came. ie: Br. DeMoura, "now this is a job that looks like Dinyo did it, half done." etc. hmmm. Then he bravely tried to weed-wack, but it ran out of string half way thru, and he didn't know how to replace it. so I went to buy the 2 helium balloons at the dollar store to put on the mailbox, and after all the years of telling my kids to hold on to them tightly, I somehow managed to let them go up to the beautiful clouds..... I went humbly back in and bought 2 more. lucky it was only $2. :) after that, and dad being grouchy when he got home and saw the front yard looking crumby and he tried to get Tom to finish weed-wacking as guests were arriving, the rest of the party was fun. I never sat down, never got to eat more than snacking on m&ms and twizzlers, but it was worth it. everyone loved the food. oh, and the cops came at 11 saying we were too loud! what a day.
if anyone is keeping track, we have quite a long list of broken things here at the Wall house. poor poor daddy. it should keep him busy till the fall.

1 comment:

Bret said...

Sounds like a memorable soiree. I must say it made me chuckle to read about it. Maybe the world just doesn't want Kathy to get old. Sorry I couldn't be there to help. Happy Graduation Sis.