Friday, June 30, 2006

My drunk driving experience

Alright, I guess now that I have a little time, I will blog about my "drunk driving story" as mom likes to call it.
After graduation, there were many parties going on. I probably had about 9 or 10 that I was invited to. People are crazy I think for making their party the same day as graduation if they expect their friends to come but thats beside the point. Anyways after I stopped at 2 parties I went to my friend Kaitlins for hers. This one had a lot of people and was alot of fun. Well naturally, due to the ways of nonmembers, alot of people were drinking, including some of my friends. Which I have to say isnt that big of a deal to me anymore since basically every highschool student does it. Again, anyways it was around 2 in the morning when I left to go home but I first had to drive Craig and Sean home, being that they had acouple drinks and needed a ride. Well I am on my way home when suddenly I saw lights flashing behind me. Of course it was a cop and of course I was pretty nervous. I didnt know why he was pulling me over either because I wasnt speeding.
Well I pulled over and he walked to the car and asked me for my license and stuff and then asked if I was drinking. I immediately said no, probably too fast because it sounded as if a mother had asked her 2 year old if they took the cookies from the cookie jar and they respond in a hundredth of a second with a no. He looked at me with unsure eyes and then asked why he smelt alcohol. I stared at him not knowing what to say because I wasnt sure if he would get my friends in trouble or not. But it was only a couple seconds before Sean, who was sitting in the front seat, told the cop that he had been drinking and thats where the smell came from. The cop then asked if I knew why I was being pulled over. I said no and he told me I was going over the white line. I knew this wasnt true but I just told him I didnt notice and I was sorry. He wasnt mean but still asked me to step out of the car to test if I really hadnt been drinking. I was kind of excited to what they would make me do especially since I knew that I would prove to them that I wasnt lying so fast.

We walked behind my car and he pulled out a pen. He held the pen out and then asked me to put my index finger on top of it. Well I thought that your index finger was what I now know as the ring finger, so I confidently put my ring finger on the pen, with the attitude of, you have got to be kidding, I wasnt drinking, what a stupid thing to have me do. Well my miss know it all attitude was immediately shot down when he looked at me and said, Lady, that is not your index finger. I looked at him as if he was crazy and began to argue. "Yes it is I," said but he shook his head. I was so confused and then asked him which one the index finger was then. He pointed to his "pointer" finger and being the moron that I am, kind of raised my voice and said NO, thats your pointer finger. He then said it was both and I figured I was probably wrong like usual and i wanted to go home since it was late so I said that I was sorry and I really had no idea.

Then he said okay, Im going to move the pen back and forth or up and down, follow it with your eyes and your eyes only. So again, inside Im like this is going to be cake. Well I was proved wrong again. As soon as he moved the pen to the left, my entire head turned left to watch the pen. And immediately out loud I said, "Shoot!, I didnt mean to do that!" He laughed and I swear he must of thought I was insane. Well eventually he let me try again and I passed his test and he told me I could go home and that it was nice of me to drive my friends home.

And I have to say I felt pretty lame after that until we later asked Jacob if he knew which finger his index finger was. He immeditely said it was the "ring" finger as well =). Anyways it was some experience and made me remember how much of a loser I really am.

3 comments:

KarenM said...

you are not a loser, and I am so glad over and over again that you didn't decide to try drinking that night.... thank you for being good. and smelt is a fish, you meant smelled.

Webb said...

Cute story Kath, I have to say, I've never been so privileged to have had the drunk driver test administered to me before... that'll be one for the grand kids for sure! :)

I too think it is great that you didn't try drinking. I've learned, and am learning, the hard way that we never know when, where, or how we will be tested (in any aspect of life). Most importantly, we never know when, where, or how others will be watching us as members of Christ's church. My current bishop, who is really a wonderful man of God, has said to me that we as members of Christ's church have the obligation, the responsibility, and the privilege to be representatives of Him at all times. It is his job as bishop of the church to 1. protect the innocent and 2. protect the name of the church. Each of us must strive to do the same in our own realm.. standing up for what is right, and DOING it... even if we don't know which is our index finger! :)

Jacob Wall said...

Nice Kathy!
I suppose u have gotten my curse of rediculous cop experiences! I hope you enjoy the ones to come! Just don't make the Police Beat more than 3 times your freshman year. That would beat my record!

1) Lewdness Ticket(by association)
2) Pimpkin Drop!(never found us)
3) Library Rolling(by association)

Don't come to Utah with a NY drivers license lol! Especially if your bald!