Hi all! Well, I am going to go ahead and post my Christmas experience for this year. I think, and hope, that Bret will post as well since I love to read his writing. I have more time during the day, so get to post first...
Here goes. Well, I have to say that this is one of the most memorable Christmases that I have had, and it came without presents or snow, well kind of. It was very reminiscent of the year my family got to go to Mexico for Christmas. This year we decided instead of exchanging gifts with the Webb family, we would spend the day together at the Disneyland park. It all started off on Saturday the 23rd. The Webb's traveled down here to the valley to spend the day with us. That night we all went to Macaroni Grill for dinner since we wouldn't be able to do a nice restaurant on Christmas Eve like we generally do. Dinner was great and was paid for by our family friend, Paula Sutter. Well, kind of. You see, she had given my parents two visa gift cards to use for dinner; unfortunately, the restaurant didn't accept them. This would be the model of things to come pertaining to meals for the next few days!!
Sunday we went to sacrament meeting and got to hear Jarek and Malik sing with the Primary.
We headed out to CA around 1:30. The drive there was uneventful, but very nice. I am so glad that Bret decided to drive when we got into the more heavy traffic in the LA area. I am telling you, I would not like to live in LA for any reason whatsoever. The traffic on Christmas Eve was just as bad as any other weeknight rush hour traffic. Horrible. And the CA drivers are so awful too. We made it to our hotel safe and sound and then ordered Chinese take out for dinner rather than trying to drive around to find a place to eat. While eating our Chinese food, we watched A Christmas Story as that was playing on TBS for their 24 hour marathon. It was fun laughing together watching that movie.
We woke up bright and early Monday morning in order to catch the first shuttle from our hotel to Disneyland. We decided on this method of transportation since it was 3 bucks per person to ride the shuttle all day long and then we didn't have to worry about parking at the park. Our bus driver was very merry and friendly and the ride was short. Our excitement was almost tangible. We got to the park 7 min later, and joined the throng headed for the gates. As we arrived before the park opened, we had to wait in line with the rest of the merry revelers. It seemed everyone was excited and happy and in a good mood. No crabby line cutters (at this point) and smiles were splashed across the glowing crowds who waited with anticipation for the mad rush through those magical gates.
Ahhh, Disneyland. It is amazing to me the feeling of excitement and happiness that envelopes that place. Even though I know it doesn't have the fastest, or the highest roller coasters, the happy energy there seeps into your heart and really turns your heart young and childlike again. The first order of business was to decide which area of the park we would traverse first. It was unanimous, Pirates of the Caribbean. We basically walked up to the ride the line was so short. The boys loved this ride and even Enok got to go on it. They added a few little changes to the ride to incorporate the movies. This has always been one of my favorite rides. Next we headed to the Haunted Mansion. Bret has never seen this ride as it generally is since both times he has been to Disneyland they have had it decked out in the Nightmare Before Christmas get up. Jarek really doesn't like this ride a whole lot, but put on a brave face and went anyhow. Enok got to go on this ride as well.
At this point our group split up. Quentin and Yesenia decided to go explore the park by themselves so as not to get hindered by our slow progress. This was Yesenia's first time at Disneyland and Quentin wanted to let her get on as many rides as possible since she had never been on any type of roller coaster. (granted, I know these aren't "real" roller coasters compared to what all of you are used to) Jarek decided that he wanted to go to Toon Town to ride the little roller coaster there. We didn't spend too much time there, which was fine with me as that is my least favorite part of the park. There was a line as long as any of the rides there to get a picture with Goofy and Mini. We didn't wait around for that though. They were they only characters we saw all day. Everyone else must have had the day off!!
After that we decided to head over to Tomorrow land so we could catch the Jedi Training Academy, Star Tours, and Space Mountain. We got fast passes to Space Mountain so we had time to do the other two things first. The Jedi Training thing was so fun. They have people dressed up like Jedi and they pick kids from the audience to train with them. Unfortunately Jarek didn't get picked, but like three kids around him did. The kids that got picked were "trained" and then had to face either Darth Vader or Darth Maul. It was really cute and fun. Bret actually talked to other people in the park! He saw a family with BYU paraphernalia and struck up a conversation. Their boys actually got picked to do the training.
After that we waited in line for Star Tours. Last time we went neither of the kids were tall enough to go on this ride, but this time they both were tall enough. They liked it, but Bret liked it the most. He got to go on it twice as I had the parent switcheroo pass, so we got to go on it together. My cheeks hurt from smiling so much after that ride. I loved watching Bret so excited on the ride!
Then it was time for space mountain. I was so excited since both Jarek and Malik were tall enough to ride this one too, and this would be their first roller coaster that actually counts. (the toon town didn't really count) I was worried the whole time that one of them would fall out since I still think they are so small. I waited with baited breath at the exit for them and was relieved to see they all made it safely! Neither of them looked too thrilled, but neither of them were crying either. This is a ride in the dark so I was very proud of them that they were so brave. I got to go on this one too as we had the parent switch pass again. It had been years since I had been on this ride and they had redone it from the last time I rode on it. It was cool!
We were supposed to meet up with Quentin and Yesenia for lunch, but that didn't happen! At this point the park had gotten quite packed. There were long lines for everything, food included. We ended up waiting in line for lunch for almost an hour. But the food was good, and the kids were good too. Enok didn't even get too frustrated.
The rest of the day went by quickly and around dinner time we headed back to the hotel to get dressed warm for the fireworks show that night.
I have to admit, I think the fireworks were one of my very favorite parts at Disneyland. They do three different shows throughout the park and we went to the one by Small World. We had to wait for about 45 minutes as people began congregating to the different places to assure optimal viewing. I walked around with Enok for a bit as he was tired of sitting in the stroller. It was interesting to see all the families. A lot of the little kids were cranky and crying after having been at the park all day. The parents had determined looks on their faces and I could just imagine them thinking, "we made it this long, there is no way we are leaving before the fireworks no matter how cranky the kids are". I laughed to myself thinking that this is supposed to be the Happiest place on earth, and here are crying babies and grumpy parents. But now I know why they all toughed it out. Wow!!! I have never in all my life seen a fireworks display like the one they did that night. It was absolutely amazing. These fireworks were huge and they had beautiful Christmas music along with them. Malik wasn't able to stay awake for them, but Jarek and Enok loved them. After the fireworks, they shot this snow-like substance out over the crowd and the whole effect was just very moving and beautiful. It was so worth the wait and the press of the crowd against us on every side. We eventually made it back to the hotel with happiness and memories indelibly impressed on our minds and hearts.
When we got home from CA, the boys were so surprised and happy that Santa came to our house. Oh, I have to add this little tid-bit. Before we left, Jarek put out cookies, milk and celery for Santa and Rudolph. He left a little note by the plate that read "Jarek said, These are yourse. P.S. We're at Californa, But leve the gifts here." It was very cute. And when we got home, Malik was worried that Santa didn't eat all of the cookies and that Rudolph only took a bite of celery. (we used celery since I didn't have any carrots) So I explained that Santa has to go to a lot of houses and if he ate all the cookies he might get a tummy ache. So he sat there thoughtfully and then said "Well, can I eat the rest of the celery?" It was all wilted and gross looking so I said no.
Then, when he, Malik, saw the presents, he started squealing and grabbed his present and hugged it. They were both amazed that Santa came.
I am glad we went to Disneyland even though it was the most crowded I have ever seen it in my life. The crowds were nothing compared to the fun we had as a family and the memories that were created.
1 comment:
sounds like a lot of fun. it almost makes me want to go, but not quite. but the fireworks part sounds really worth it.
Post a Comment