I don't think there is anything wrong with Karen's desire to have a Sentimental Cyber Christmas... I don't think I ever really had a good idea of what Christmas could be growing up so before this year, I'm not entirely sure I would have understood how you feel. However, before I go on, I don't want everyone to think that childhood Christmases were completely void of magic or the spirit, because, we did almost always wrap gifts for "toys for tots" with the fire department, and would usually do 12 days of Christmas for (surprisingly) a more needy family than our own, and of course there was always the infamous (that means more than famous) freezing your rear off singing Christmas carols... I guess I really can't complain about Christmases past since I can see now a valuable lesson my parents and family worked so hard to teach: serve others, and be grateful for what you have because there is always someone in more need than you.
However, the Christmas spirit I speak of now is that of family. Perhaps I just missed it in my selfish youth, but it seemed that Christmas was always a time for focusing on other people's families and needs (and again, not that there is anything wrong with that), but that mindset sure made not coming home, or spending the holidays with anyone for that matter, a much easier thing... especially on the mission since they were spent in the service of others... just like home! :) But now, with my new in-laws, I've been experiencing the fun of family and togetherness. Kim, my father-in-law, truly is a kid at heart and the family traditions he and his wife established long before my wife was born live strong even today. Every Sunday before Christmas in the month of December we get together for Dinner and light another candle under the rotating Nativity and read the Christmas story in the Bible. Last Sunday it was mine and Millie's turn to read. Then after reading we play a game (a different one each week) to determine how simple ($1-$2 usually funny gag type gifts) are exchanged and traded, similar to the white elephant games.
There are yet many other things to come that are part of the Roper family Christmas traditions and already, it is difficult for me to imagine having to spend a Christmas now with out them in it! So, grandma Wall, be thou sentimental, it's perfectly ok to want to be together and remember Christ and read from the precious records He has provided for us during this sacred season... BUT, if you find yourself pining too much and a bit too lonely, do as I learned in my youth, find someone who needs your service, and serve them. :)
2 comments:
good blog. I am so glad you like your inlaws. it makes such a big difference in family life.
oops, I should also say Merry Christmas to you and Millie. I leave today for cleveland to be with my family for a few days and see my mom. I love her so much. she also has sacrificed much on my behalf when I was young. we will be back on monday night. enjoy the holidays together!
Post a Comment