Thursday, February 22, 2007

My review - 30 Rock

I had my review this week. It was a little unexpected in the fact that I thought I was performing a little higher than my boss rated me. But it was an interesting review and I learned a lot. My boss, who will no longer be my boss starting next month, has really taught me a lot. He is much more used to managing people at a much higher level (like the Senior VP level). This means his expectations are much higher, but at the same time I really get a good view/perspective into what is expected at a higher level.

He is also very talented at diffusing a situation. I went into the review a little upset with plenty of things to say. He is very to the point and unlike every other review I've ever been in at Prudential he first showed me the money to get that out of the way (usually this is done at the end of the review) and then went straight to the point saying, "I know what you want to discuss, so let's just go straight there." Then he went on to say what a talented person I am, how he trusts me and sees me making a big difference here. He laid the compliments on thick and helped me make a goal as to when I should be promoted to VP (within 12-18 months) and then Senior VP (2 - 3 years). He was confident I can do this and believes nothing stands in my way.

He gave me great feedback on what soft skills I need to work on to make it to the next level. They weren't big things and certainly I am not lacking, according to him, the knowledge or talent. I "know my $#!+" and "everyone loves me." This last one - that everyone loves me - makes him laugh as he feels I've paid the whole company to love me - my "own little fan club." I need to work on not appearing so laid back (increase my sense of urgency to others) and make sure I don't get to full of myself (we all know I don't have a lack of self confidence). So, he concluded, I am rating you on where you should be in your next role, not in your current role. If I got the same rating I always get it wouldn't be a challenge. I need to stretch. I should want more. But if it were my goal to just be a Director the rest of my life then let's go ahead and switch my rating to the higher one, but of course, we know I don't want that. We talked about continuing a mentor relationship as I move on and I walked out feeling great and perplexed. Was this the greatest spin job ever? Possibly, but I believed him. I think his comments were legitimate. I think he really does respect me and thinks I am below my potential level. In his words, he doesn't think Prudential "has challenged you yet."

Whether a spin job or not, I definitely learned more from this review than all of my others combined. Here is a man that really understands how to tackle difficult situations and really looks for ways to motivate employees and get them to the next level. How do you motivate employees by giving them lower ratings than they deserve (even when you tell them they are really a higher rating!) and a little less money than the year before (still generous relatively speaking)? He does it. That's a talent we could all benefit from.

So, though slightly disappointed, I feel good about my position here. Now I have to determine if this really is for me. Can a be a VP and Sr VP here? Of course. Do I want to? Or is it time to move on to something else? That is to be determined by spending time on my knees over the next few months.

I was also impressed by the loyalty of my wife. Good thing she didn't live closer or she may have bombed the building. Let's just say that Tevia definitely thinks it was a snow job.

On another note, have you started watching 30 Rock yet on NBC after The Office and Scrubs (both great shows!)? If not, start. It is a great new addition to the Thursday night lineup and truly NBC has a Must See TV night again. Tonight, though I missed Scrubs, I laughed so hard in 30 Rock and The Office I almost peed.

6 comments:

teviawall said...

Heehee, I may have overreacted just a tad about Bret's review...But I just felt that he was devalued and ain't nobody doing that to my man!!! I think he is the greatest guy ever!!! It is good to know I can still impress you babes!

And ditto, 30 Rock totally ROCKS!!! It is so funny and the only reason I would discourage anyone from watching it is if they totally don't want to laugh their butts off!

Ciao~~~

Jacob Wall said...

I'm going to have to agree with Tevia on this one. If he considers you VP bound, he is a coward not to give you the best review. You spent all these months trying to impress yout new boss who thinks your great, but isn't willing to compromise his standard as a tough manager to give you an excellent review. Then to have the nerve to tell you to work your butt off again with your new manager and maybe that mananger will give you what you deserve. In short, and to put it blunt, this guy didn't have the balls stand up for you and join your "fan club!" I would ask bret to consider this question, "Would you ever give the same review he gave you to another, whom you knew deserved better but you wouldn't be around to tell anyone the truth?"

KarenM said...

we had been watching 30 rock, and liked it a bit for awhile, but I think after an hour of tv we just lose interest and turn it off. we have turned into old people, who like reading and genealogy and church work more than tv. weird. I didn't like feeling sorry for Pam on the office. I just want her to be happy. ;)
Bret, it doesn't matter if he was being honest or not, he still managed to impress you, and you still learned something. money is not everything. we get zero bonus this year. after reading your pat blessing this week, and Jacob's, there is no doubt you will succeed in all you do. prayer will guide you. I trust you and your decisions. (ps- if you haven't read it in awhile, do so. you have somebody out there you are supposed to be doing missionary work with at some point in your life. )

teviawall said...

One more comment from me on Mom's comment; neither of us were concerned with the monetary aspect of this whole thing, that was totally second in our thoughts. Jacob put it pretty much the way I feel. I know Bret is a very optimistic person and trusts people a LOT more than I do and tries to see past any negative intention. I just have to trust him (since I don't go to work with him every day and interact with Jimmy) that what happened in the interview was good. Ultimately though we are so fortunate to have a much higher power guiding our lives, and as Bret said, we will both be bringing his career path up a lot in our prayers.

Webb said...

And I'm still just waiting for a review to happen! It's been in the works since December but upper management here is less than competent in the following:

Leadership
Communication
Management
Integrity
Maturity

If it weren't for a little one on the way, I'd have left a couple of months ago to something else... pretty much anything else.

Bret said...

Jake Wall. I definitely wouldn't say he doesn't have the balls to give me a better rating. In fact, I think he has balls to not give me the rating. It is much easier as a manager to just give a higher rating and avoid a difficult discussion. What he was good at was turning that difficult discussion on its side and try to position it as motivating. That is indeed a talent, whether it is being honest or truly just spinning someone. That is what I learned. In the scheme of things related to my career this rating means absolutely nothing - but what I learned will help me whether I stay or go from Pru. I believe he knows that. The risk is: will I stay. It is a big risk, but worth it for him (Pru) if I do. I am not saying I wouldn't have rated myself differently or would do what he did to me in his spot. But it will definitely be one of the key reviews in my life. He told me that 2 months after the worst review in his career (and remember, mine's not bad, just not as great as usual) he was promoted. Let's see how it goes here. :-)