Thursday, May 10, 2007
Black vs White - Save $
I read a pretty cool article the other day that talked about how a website with a white background uses about 74 Watts to display while a site with a black background only uses about 59 Watts. A reduction of about 15 Watts. The article went on to say that if Google, which happens to be the most visited site in the world and has a white background, would change its background to black it could save 3,000 Megawatt-hours per year. Though the article was certainly from a "save the world" point of view, the idea is interesting. In my efforts to save you some money and reduce my effect on the world via this blog, I'm going back to black for a while. You can see that though Google hasn't responded, a new site called blackle.com has basically taken Google's search and put it in on a black page. Also, Firefox has now added some extensions to change white sites to black. I've always been a fan of the black background for many things (even my desktop at times which I change frequently).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
you find the most interesting things.
I am always impressed.
sigh, I think we need to use more energy so they build more power plants! But, having said that, I only program in black environments since studies have proved long exposure to bright backgrounds is actually quite harmful on the eyes. So, my point it mute and I can't say PWNT FLAMINGO! Oh, wait, I did anyway...
Meh, I spelled energy wrong...
Post a Comment